How to Lose Weight in Your Legs Fast- Summer is here and the buzz is already brewing. Are you confident enough to don the shorts? Or you need to lose weight in your legs?
If that’s the case, we have something to help you get rid of leg fat fast.
If you create a routine around these leg exercises we want to share, you will lose weight in your legs and thighs in time to hit the beaches.
Apart from slimming down thigh fat fast, you will also feel healthier and more agile.
There are no workouts that will make you lose fat in specific areas, these workouts focus more on helping you lose weight in your legs.
Where Does Leg Fat Come From?
First of all, it is normal to have fat in the body. American Council on Exercise (ACE) says that men have 18 to 24 percent of body fat at a normal weight.
Women, on the other hand, have 25 to 31 percent body fat.
The council further said fat is distributed evenly across the body.
Of course, we can tell it accumulates more in some areas than others. Cases like that are genetic.
When it comes to leg fat, there are two types:
- Subcutaneous fat – this is mainly the type of fat in the thigh area and are beneath the skin
- Intramuscular fat – as the name implies, this type of fat is embedded in the muscle.
A large percentage of the fat in your legs we’re trying to get rid of is subcutaneous fat.
What to Do to Lose Weight In Your Legs?
Let’s make something clear. You cannot just reduce leg fat and nowhere else.
That is simply not how it works. Your body cannot tell where it is losing fat.
However, with diet and lifestyle changes, you can lose overall fat while with targeted exercise, you can tone certain muscle groups.
If you do what it takes to burn fat, know that it will come off in other places too.
Without further ado, let’s get down to business.
We decided to start with a diet because a lot of people think of exercising alone when it comes to losing weight in your legs.
While it is important and effective, it is generally not sufficient.
To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you ingest, period.
If you don’t adjust your diet, and you keep binging calories, albeit inadvertently, all your thigh fat workouts will be in vain.
With that said, let’s continue
Reduce your Salt Intake
Your body retaining water is counter-productive if you’re trying to lose weight in your legs.
Ingesting too much salt will make your body retain water.
American Heart Association says that an average person needs 1,500 mg of sodium per day. Processed foods are culprits of excess sodium in the body, so you want to cut back on those.
Slow Down with the Carbs
Have you ever wondered why low-carb diets are effective?
It is because as your body converts carbs into glycogen, it stores water along with it in your muscles and liver.
When people start reducing carbs in their diet, they quickly lose weight.
As Lisa Moskovitz, the CEO of NY Nutrition Group, said, the bulk of it was water.
Start Eating Healthy
Eating nutritious meals rich in fibers and proteins is essential to slim down thigh fat in a week.
As you cut down on salt and carbs and replace them with healthier foods, you will lose weight in your legs quicker than you expect.
One important component of a healthy diet is vitamins.
It also improves your overall health. Consider taking fruits and vegetables every day for your daily dose of vitamins.
Get your protein from lean meats, cooked beans, peanut butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.
These sources can help you develop lean muscles and melt fat away.
That should cover the bases on the diet side of losing weight in your legs.
Now it is time to get into the physical side of it.
Exercises to Lose Legs Fat
This section will be split into two parts.
Exercising to lose weight in your legs, or anywhere at all, is not just about the workouts. It is more about how it is done.
The first part of this exercise dichotomy is cardio.
It is a great way to get rid of excess salt and fluids. The other one has targeted exercises. These workouts will aim specifically at the legs.
These types of exercises can boost your overall health and help you stay in a good mood.
Workouts in this category get your heart pumping and exercises with that effect efficiently burn calories and hence help you lose fat in your legs.
Cardio; Running, swimming, cycling, etc. are great ways to clock in your everyday aerobics.
You should be diligent with this as consistency is key.
One of the best cardio exercise for beginners is cycling.
Whether, you’re riding a real bicycle or in the gym, you’re still on point.
The low intensity and lesser strain on the knees make them beginner-friendly; it also increases muscle endurance in your calf, quadriceps, glutes, and hamstrings.
Strive to get 30 minutes of cardio exercises for 5 days in a week and you will be surprised at how much weight you will lose in your legs.
Best Exercise to Get rid of Leg Fast Fast at Home
These are routine exercises that aim to tone particular muscle sets.
In this case, the muscles in your legs.
Have you seen anyone lose weight but ended up looking flabby?
That happens when you only lose weight and not strengthen and tone the muscles.
This is why muscle training is important.
Targeting the muscles in the area you want to shed fat fine-tunes everything.
The following are some targeted exercises you can do to lose weight in your legs.
1. Calf Raises with Plie Squats
This is still squat but it varies a bit. The exercise will help you lose weight in your legs and tone your thigh muscles.
The calf raise will work your calf muscles too.
Here is how to do it:
- Stand straight with your legs wide apart. Your toes should be pointing outward.
- You can put your hands on your waist or in front of you. You can also spread them to your sides for balance.
- Slowly lower yourself into a squat position till your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- While in this position, raise your heels like you are tiptoeing. Maintain this stance for about two seconds.
- Slowly return your heels to the ground to complete one rep.
- You will do 10 reps of this for 3 sets.
2. Inner and Outer Thigh Stretch
If you’re looking to get rid of thigh fat, this is what you need right here.
This exercise to lose weight in your legs will tone your thigh muscles and burn the fat simultaneously!
You will need a chair or something you can slightly lean on for balance.
Here is how to do it:
- Stand with your back straight and your feet firmly planted on the ground.
- Lean on the backrest of a chair or whatever you decided to use.
- Now raise your heels off the ground shifting your weight on the ball of your feet.
- Raise your right leg off the ground and push it out in front of you enough not to collide with your left leg.
- Swing it to your left, a little farther than your left leg. With that momentum swing it all out to your right.
- Be sure that you are using your muscles to cause the movement and not just dangling it.
- Bring your leg back to the starting position to complete the rep.
- You will do 15 reps of this for each leg. A total of 4 sets will do great for quick effect.
3. Curtsy Lunges for Thigh Fat
Here is a variant of the lunge. It reverses the usual forward movement of the traditional lunge.
This exercise to lose weight in your legs work well because it targets most of the leg muscles.
Here is how to do it:
- Stand straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- With your right leg, lunge diagonally backward behind your left leg and lower yourself till your knee touches the ground.
- Return to the starting position and then you would have completed the rep.
- Do 10 to 15 reps of this and switch to the other leg.
You will do a total of 4 reps.
3. High Toe Taps
This is exercise will help you lose weight in your legs fast.
You will also clock in some cardio because of how fast you will be doing this routine.
Here is how to do it:
- Stand in front of a chair or some other object as long as it is the height of your knees.
- Place your hands on your side while keeping your back straight.
- Raise your right leg and touch the object in front of you with your toe.
- In quick succession, you will alternate between your right and left toe taking turns to touch the object.
- Keep this up for one minute to complete a set.
- You will do 3 sets of this exercise to slim legs and thighs.
Read More :
- 10 Best Resistance Band Exercises for Legs and Glutes
- How to Get Rid of Inner Thigh Fat:10 Best Exercises
- How to Tone Thighs in 2 Weeks: Perfect Leg Workouts and Diet Tips
- 11 Best Hip Workouts to Get Rid of Hip Fat Fast at Home
This guide is well rounded to help you lose weight in your legs in a short amount of time.
You cannot do it for a few days an expect to see changes. You will have to make a habit of it. Consistency is what will bring the result.
The earlier you start, the earlier you will be able to show off your legs.