Stomach ache is a common condition that almost everyone has experienced at one point or another. The causes are rarely serious and to get upset stomach relief usually shouldn’t go beyond your kitchen.
To get rid of upset stomach and diarrhea should not necessarily require a doctor. We bring you remedies that you can prepare and use at home.
Causes of Upset Stomach
Different things can cause an upset stomach in both kids and adults. An ulcer or a disease in the digestive tract can trigger it.
Eating too much, too fast, or eating high-fat foods can also cause stomach upset.
Some of the symptoms of an upset stomach include:
11 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Upset Stomach and Diarrhea in 5 Minutes
Now let’s take a look at some of the things you can do at home to get an upset stomach and diarrhea relief.
1. Drink Water More
The body needs water to absorb nutrients from foods and beverages.
It also uses water to move things through the digestive tract all the way to the rectum.
When your body is dehydrated, it increases the likelihood of an upset stomach.
One should aim for an average of 8 cups per day with kids requiring a little less than that.
There are other good reasons to stay hydrated throughout the day.
2. Don’t lie Down too early after Food
When you lie down, you increase the chances of acids in the stomach to travel backward and upward which can cause heartburn.
If you already looking to get rid of upset stomach and diarrhea, you should not lie down until it has relieved you.
If you must, then prop your head and neck at about an angle of 30 degrees.
3. Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Upset Stomach
This is one of the most popular and potent home remedies for getting rid of upset stomach and diarrhea.
If you can handle the taste, drink a tablespoon or two of ACV for upset stomach relief.
If not, you can add some lemon juice to make it taste a bit better.
The acid in it can help slow down the digestion of starch.
That way, more of it can get into the intestine to maintain healthy gut bacteria.
Some people take apple cider vinegar as a preventive measure.
4. Peppermint for Diarrhea
The menthol in its leaves has been proven to be a good upset stomach medicine.
You can use peppermint to get rid of an upset stomach and diarrhea by:
- Chewing the leaves directly
- Brewing the leaves into a tea and drinking it
- Sniff peppermint extract – This is a great way to get rid of kids upset stomach ache at school.
- Sucking a peppermint candy
You can also use this to relieve upset stomach after eating.
5. Chamomile Tea for Upset Stomach Treatment
Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties that can help relax the muscles of the stomach which will relieve the pain from cramping.
- A cup of chamomile tea twice a day can go a long way to get rid of an upset stomach and diarrhea.
6. Ginger for Stomach Ache Relief
Since ancient times, people have been using ginger to treat many ailments.
There have been studies that show that ginger is effective for getting rid of upset stomach and diarrhea.
Ginger can also be used to make soup for an upset stomach.
Natural ginger ales and ginger teas are other ways ginger can be used to get rid of upset stomach and diarrhea.
7. Avoid Alcohol and Smoking
Smoking tobacco can irritate the throat which can increase the possibility of an upset stomach.
It can also affect the stomach lining especially if you’re vomiting.
Alcohol, on the other hand, is difficult to digest and takes a heavy toll on the liver.
If you already have an upset stomach, you should have smoking or drinking alcohol as it will make things worse.
8. Cinnamon for Stomach Pain Relief
There are many antioxidants in cinnamon including eugenol, camphor, linalool, etc.
Cinnamon could also help reduce bloating, belching, and cramps.
It can also reduce acidity and indigestion.
You can use quality cinnamon powder to make tea or put an inch of cinnamon stick in your food.
Do this three times a day as remedies for stomach pains and gas.
9. Cumin for Indigestion
There are active ingredients in cumin seeds that can reduce stomach acids and indigestion.
It can also reduce gas and inflammation in the stomach.
- Putting 1 or 2 teaspoons of cumin powder in your meal can serve as a remedy for diarrhea.
- You can also make a tea by putting cumin powder or cumin seeds in hot water to ease heartburn and get rid of upset stomach and diarrhea.
10. Cloves to Reduce Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
Cloves contain substances that can help reduce upset stomach and diarrhea.
It can increase gastric secretions and reduce gas in the stomach.
Close can also reduce vomiting and nausea.
- You can mix two teaspoons of grounded cloves with one teaspoon of honey.
- Take the mixture once a day before bedtime.
- You can also make clove tea by putting cloves inside boiling water and drink it twice a day.
- 11 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation and Bloating Fast
- How to Debloat Your Stomach Quickly- 10 Home Remedies That Work
- 11 Best Ways to Improve Gut Health Naturally at Home
11. Aloe for Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
Juice of aloe contains compounds that improve protein digestion, reduce inflammation, and reduce excess stomach acid.
Research has shown that people that drink 10 milliliters of aloe juice for 4 weeks found relief from acid and food regurgitation, nausea, belching, etc.
This makes it effective to get rid of an upset stomach and diarrhea.
Most of these remedies can also be loose motion treatments. It is important to note that while these are effective ways to get rid of stomach ache in 5 minutes.
There are times you should take the ailment seriously.
If you vomit consistently and feel nausea for more than 48 hours, then it is time to get your doctor involved.
It could be an indication of a more serious problem.
It is always better to prevent than to cure. There are bland food recipes you can make to help prevent stomach upset.
In cases you couldn’t avoid the eventuality, these remedies are quick ways to get rid of upset stomach and diarrhea.