The abdominal region is one of the easiest parts of the body to accumulate fat. Losing upper belly fat has been a huge concern to those trying to shed weight.
It is even safe to say that abdominal fat is what actually makes people fat.
If you doubt that, how many obese people have you seen with a small mid-section?
This is why your focus should be to lose upper belly fat if you want to lose weight in general.
The changes you have to make to get this result will definitely cascade to the fat in other parts of your body.
In all honesty, there are natural reasons why we grow upper belly fat.
For instance, in a woman, some of the fat will cushion the ovaries offering them extra protection.
Fertility purposes are other reasons belly fat can be beneficial.
However, you don’t need a lot of it to get these benefits. Excessive belly fat is dangerous and can quickly become a problem.
This is why a lot of people want to lose upper belly fat. It is not an easy feat to pull off which is why most people don’t get to achieve it.
I’ll wager you a dollar that you are reading this (perhaps partly) to see if it offers an easier route.
Upper Belly Fat Causes
We will get into the details of the exercises you are going to be doing to get rid of upper belly fat.
But before then, let us see what causes this accumulation of fat. That might help us control or even avoid it:
When abdominal fat becomes excessive, it is medically termed as visceral fat.
This is the accumulation of fat that surrounds your organs.
It is important to note that this accumulation is seriously unhealthy.
Excess belly fat, regardless your weight is unhealthy and can be downright dangerous.
Studies have shown that it can lead to heart diseases, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and even cancer.
The following are some of the causes of the accumulation of upper belly fat:
Intake of Sugary Beverages and Foods
It is no news that most of the foods we eat today is not healthy. Taking too much sugar is largely responsible for the obesity pandemic the world is facing.
Foods and beverages with added sugar contain a high level of fructose in them.
Studies have shown that there is a link between the consumption of high levels of sugar and the accumulation of belly pooch.
So, it only makes sense to say that if you reduce your intake of sugar, you will increase your chances to get rid of upper belly fat.
Before you lose your mind, we are not about to tell you to stop taking alcohol.
We are just going to tell you to take them in moderation. That’s fair enough, right?
In fact, alcohol, especially red wine, can be healthful to the body.
Certain studies reveal that controlled consumption can help to reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
Run from Trans Fat
It is a fact; Trans Fats are the worst types of fat you can put in your body. They are made by combining hydrogen with unsaturated fat.
The purpose behind this is to make packaged foods last longer.
It is still a wonder that their use is even legal.
Some other causes of upper belly fat are:
Now that we know the major causes, let us go ahead and tell you some of the ways to lose upper belly fat.
12 Best Exercises to Lose Upper Belly Fat in 1 Week at Home
1. Backward Lunge with Twist
This exercise will require some weight, a dumbbell or gym ball will be good, but it is not a must if you are not up to it.
This workout will help you burn those hard upper belly fat.
In fact, it goes beyond your abs as your thigh muscles will get some work with the lunge part.
Here is how to do Backward Lunges with Twist
- Stand straight with your legs wide apart at the distance of your hips.
- With your right foot, take a big step backward then lower your knee till your left knee forms a 90 degrees angle with its calf.
- While in that position, twist your upper torso to the left without moving your legs.
- Now, get back to the starting position and switch legs to perform the same process. This completes one rep.
You will do 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps per set. Just makes sure that both sides get the same amount of reps.
2. Burpees to Get Rid of Upper Belly Fat
This is a high-intensity workout.
It might turn out to be challenging but it will help you lose upper stomach fat roll quickly.
This is an exercise to lose upper belly fat and work all the muscles in your body.
If you are looking to lose weight generally or just lose upper belly fat, you need to work as many muscles as possible.
The burpee exercise increases your metabolism, hence helps to burn fat.
Here is how to do Burpee:
- Plant your feet firmly on the floor.
- In one swift move, crouch and shoot your legs backward into a push-up Do one push-up.
- In another swift move, return to the crouch with your knee tucked under you.
- Lunge upward into a jump.
- On landing on your feet, you have completed one rep.
Do at least 10 reps of this exercise to lose upper belly fat. You are to do 3 sets in total.
3. Reverse Crunches for Belly Fat
This is a strength training workout that will help you lose upper belly fat.
Doing this exercise will help you tone your entire abs muscles.
How to do Reverse Crunches:
- Lay on your back with your knees bent together and your feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands at the back of your ears.
- In one move, bring your knees towards your chest and raise your head off the floor.
- Go back to the starting position to complete the rep.
- You will do 10 reps of this exercise and 3 sets in total.
4. Side Bend for Abs
This is a powerful exercise that stretches the muscles in your abs and gets rid of love handles
If you do it often enough and correctly, you will lose upper belly fat too.
This exercise stretches the muscles on your sides too which can relieve back pains.
How to do Side Bend
- Stand tall with legs hip-width apart.
- Hold a single dumbbell with both hands and raise it above your head.
- Now bend to one side as far as you can.
- Go back to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Follow the same steps for the other side.
- You will do 10 reps of 3 sets.
Check Out – How to Lose Lower Belly Fat-10 Best Ab Workouts
5. Vertical Leg Crunches
This is another exercise that you will do lying down.
The movements you will be making is where the work is. This type of crunches will make you lose upper belly fat.
How to do Vertical Leg Crunches:
- Lie on a mat with your back straightened out.
- Put your legs together and raise them straight up and keep them there.
- Now raise your back into crunches.
- Do 10 to 15 reps of this for 3 sets.
6. Knee to Elbow for Belly Fat and Side Fat
If you want to reduce upper belly fat in one week, you should do this often.
This is because this exercise will work all the muscles in your abdomen.
Here is how to do Knee to Elbow:
- Stand with your back straight, legs hip-width apart, and your hand behind your head.
- Lift one of your knees towards your abs and meet it with alternate elbow.
- This will cause you to twist a bit and this is where your oblique muscles get their share of the workout.
- Get back to the starting position and do the same for the left and right elbow.
This completes one rep. You will do 10 to 15 reps of this depending on your capacity.
If you are up to it, you can do even more. Do 2 to 3 sets of this.
7. Side Plank to Lose Upper Belly Fat
This is another effective exercise to lose upper belly fat. It works for your 6 packs, core, and oblique.
It might put some pressure on your shoulder since it would be supporting your body weight.
Here is how to do Side Plank:
- You need to lie on your right side with your feet stacked.
- Prop yourself up on your right elbow using your forearm for balance.
- Now raise your hips of the floor such that only your forearm and the side of your right foot is touching the floor.
- You will maintain this position for 45 seconds or longer depending on your fitness.
- Switch sides and do the same.
You will do 4 sets of this to lose a good amount of upper belly fat.
8. Cobra Yoga Pose for Belly Fat
This is one great way to reduce upper belly fat by yoga.
This is not an all-out exercise. It is a yoga pose.
However, if you know enough about yoga, you will know it can help you lose weight.
This pose done over time will help you lose upper belly fat because of the pose and how it stretches your abs muscles.
How to do Cobra Yoga Pose:
- Stretch yourself out on the mat and keep your body straight.
- Now prop yourself up on your palms and keep your elbows locked.
- Push your chest forward and at the same time cave in your lower back as much as you can.
- Maintain this position for at least 45 seconds.
9. Flutter Kicks for Core Tighten
If you are keen on losing some upper belly fat in a week, this is one workout you should pay attention to.
It focuses on your abs muscles and your thigh muscles too will even benefit from it.
This routine works great too if you want to lose upper belly fat after pregnancy.
Here is how to do Flutter Kicks:
- Start out by laying on the floor with your arms by your side, palms planted on the floor.
- Now you will raise your head along with your neck and shoulders off the floor.
- This will put some strain on your upper belly muscles.
Your legs too should be slightly above the floor as well. You would already be feeling some strain on your abs by now.
- Using your palms to maintain balance on either side, raise your right leg higher.
- While bringing it down (but not touching the floor), raise the left one too.
- Continue this sequence alternatively.
- Don’t do it too fast or you might start swaying off balance.
10. Double Knee Lift
This is one exercise you can do while sitting on a chair.
This means that you can lose upper belly fat even while in the office!
Here’s how to do Double Knee Lift:
- Sit straight on the chair without leaning on the backrest.
- Hold on to the armrests for support.
- Now lift both your legs at the same time towards your chest while tightening your core.
- Lower them back without them touching the floor.
- Repeat the routine 10 to 15 times.
11. Knee Touches
This is a good exercise to lose upper belly fat as it directly targets your entire abs muscles.
How to do Knee Touches:
- Lie flat on the floor keeping your back straight.
- Keep your knees bent and put your feet flat on the floor.
- Now stretch your hands so your palms are towards your knees.
- Raise your shoulders off the floor till your palms touch your knees.
- Go back to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Do this routine 10 to 15 times to make one set and you will aim for 3 sets in all.
12. Down Dog Tap for Belly Fat
This exercise will not only help you lose upper belly fat, but it will also make your abs muscles stronger.
You will notice improvements in a matter of weeks.
Here is how to do Down Dog Tap:
- Start out from a position where your feet are flat on the ground and you are bent at the hip with your palms on the floor.
- You will be forming an inverted “V” in this position.
- This is called the downward dog position.
- Your heels do not need to be on the floor if you feel too much strain. You can just stand on tiptoe.
- Now, stretch back your right arm and touch the toes of your left leg.
- Go back to the starting position and repeat the movement for the left hand. This completes one rep.
You will do 20 reps of this exercise to make one set. Take a break and then do 2 more sets.
These 12 exercises can be done in any order you wish. You can even choose only some of them, whatever works for you.
The exercises might not be enough to lose top belly fat if you continue with the lifestyle that helped you accumulate visceral fat in the first place.
You must stay steadfast with the exercises and your changed lifestyle if you want lasting results.
By so doing, you will soon lose upper belly fat enough to achieve the type of body you want.