If you haven’t tried yoga asanas for beginners to lose weight then now would be a good time to do so. Our daily lifestyle, workload, hectic schedules and eating habits all affect the health of individuals and may make them gain excess weight faster.
Yoga simply helps people burn excess fat without having to break a sweat.It brings body, mind, and soul together to keep individuals refreshed and healthy.
Yoga has many health benefits but a lot of people don’t know yoga is effective for weight loss.
The physical side of yoga helps individuals to burn calories.
Mentally, yoga reduces the stress levels in individuals, especially cortisol the stress hormone responsible for weight gain.
Yoga generally involves challenging your body and mind and taking them to new heights.
This helps you burn a lot of calories and lose excess weight naturally.
There are several yoga asanas for beginners to lose weight that you can do every day.
These yoga asanas will help individuals to fast-track their weight loss goals and make them at home
What is Asana?
Asana simply means posture or pose.
What does this mean for you?
If you are interested in knowing the best yoga asanas for weight loss, keep reading!
How Yoga Helps Weight Loss
Many people really have no idea that there is a relationship between yoga and weight loss.
You are probably wondering:
How can yoga help you lose weight?
Well, yoga addresses the underlying causes of excess weight gain from within.
Here are different ways through which yoga promotes weight loss:
1. Yoga Activates your Thyroid Gland
The thyroid gland secretes hormones that help to control your body’s metabolism.
A high and active metabolism helps to burn fat from your body at a faster rate.
Yoga also helps to correct any form of Thyroid dysfunction.
2. Yoga Stimulates your Liver
The liver is a very important body organ in every individual.
It has numerous functions including detoxifying and cleansing your body of harmful toxins and chemicals.
A strong and healthy liver also helps to eliminate the bad fats from your body and make good use of the good fats.
Yoga helps to enhance your liver for better functioning.
When your liver is functioning well….it prevents unnecessary weight gain.
3. Yoga Relieves Stress
Practicing yoga asanas help to relieve you of stress and anxiety which are causes of weight gain.
Yoga asanas relieve stress by striking the right balance between the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system.
4. Yoga maintains the Right pH of Your Body
If the pH of your body is highly acidic, your body is likely to store up fat to protect itself from the excess acid.
This leads to the accumulation of visceral fat in your blood vessels and body organs.
Yoga helps to maintain the pH of your body and keep it at a harmless alkaline level.
This is one of the reasons why yoga asanas for beginners to lose weight are very effective.
5. Yoga Moves your Muscles with Strength
Yoga asanas that require your body to stay active alongside successive compression and stretching of your muscles are effective for weight loss.
The successive movement of your muscles makes them make use of excess fats in your body as fuel.
6. Yoga Provides Warmth within your Body
Yoga creates warmth in your body by activating your nervous system which automatically makes you feel warmer.
Asanas involve systematic stretching which activates your nerves.
The heat provided within your body helps to burn superficial subcutaneous fat and deep-seated visceral fat.
7. Yoga gets your Heart Rate up
Though not as effective as indoor aerobic exercises and cardio, yoga exercise can help to increase your heart rate for a short while before dropping it back right down.
15 Yoga Asanas for Beginners to Lose Weight in 10 Days
So Let get started …
We have come up with 15 of the best and most effective yoga poses for weight loss. See them below:
1. Pavanmuktasana (Wind-releasing Pose)
This yoga asana targets your stomach. It helps to reduce belly fat.
How to do Pavanmuktasana for Weight Loss
- Lie on your back in a straight position.
- Then Lift your left leg up and bend it from your knee.
- Try to use your chin to touch your knee while moving your left leg towards your stomach.
- You may have to lift your head up a bit for this.
- Repeat the same process with your other leg.
- You can also try to do the process with both legs simultaneously.
2. Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
How to Do Eagle Pose for Weight Loss
- Stand on the ground in a straight position with your hands beside your body.
- Lift up your left leg then fold it from your knee and wrap it around your right leg.
- Lift up your hands. Bring them to the front of your chest and wrap your left hand around your right hand while looking straight ahead.
- Stay in that position for about 10-20 minutes.
3. Ardha Navasana (Half boat pose)
This is a very effective yoga asana for weight loss around the tummy region. This pose helps to build the muscles in your abs.
How to do Ardha Navasana (Half boat pose)
- Place your palms on the floor for balance then raise your legs.
- When you are stable, raise your arms so they are parallel with the floor.
- If this is too easy for you, increase the space between your chest and knees. DO this by leaning back a bit and moving your knees to little farther from you. Your abs should have a burning feeling if you are doing the right thing.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds.
4. Vasisthasana (side plank) for Weight Loss
It should not be a surprise to you that at least a type of plank made this list.
The plank in all its variations is great for weight loss and building stronger abs.
- Start in the normal plank position. Place your palms on the mat, shoulder-width apart, with your toes placed together on the yoga mat.
- Tilt your feet to the right so that the outer left side of your left foot is touching the yoga mat and your right foot is on top of the left.
- Shift your weight on to your left hand as you remove your right hand from the floor.
- Slowly lift your right arm up, straight ahead of you towards the ceiling.
- Your shoulders and hips should be in line with each other and not leaning backward or forward.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds then repeat on your other side.
5. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
This yoga asana helps to tone your thighs and arms. It also makes your body more flexible.
How to do Trikonasana (Triangle Pose) for Weight Loss
- Stand straight with your feet wide apart.
- Then turn your left foot out to 90 degrees and right foot out to 15 degrees.
- Then bend your body down from your hips towards the left side.
- Ensure your waist is straight, allowing your right hand to come up in the hair while your left hand comes down and touches the floor.
- Try to keep your arm in a straight line.
- Repeat this process on your other side.
6. Utkatsana (chair pose) for Weight Loss
This yoga pose targets your quadriceps.
How to do Utkatsana (chair pose)
- Lower into a squat position with your feet together and your arms straight above you.
- Ensure that you can still see your feet right in front of your knees. If you cannot, that means you bent your knees too far forward.
- Slightly tuck your hips in and do not arch your back too much.
- Try to make your knees almost parallel as possible to the ground without changing your position.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds.
7. Setu Bandha (Bridge Pose)
This pose is good for your core, lower back, and thighs.
How to Do Setu Bandha (Bridge Pose)
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees in a way that your feet rest on the ground.
- Keep the same distance between feet and buttocks as your hands.
- Then try lifting your body in an upward direction.
- Repeat this process for about 10 times, then release.
8. Vakrasana (Twisted Pose)
This is an effective yoga asana for weight loss.
How to Vakrasana (Twisted Pose) for Weight Loss
- Sit in a cross-legged position and ensure you are comfortable.
- Maintain a straight posture and keep your left hand on your right knee.
- Then try twisting your body towards the right.
- Do this in the left direction too.
You May Also Read: 12 Best Yoga Poses for Lower Back Pain That Work
9. Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand)
This is an inversion form of yoga where your body is upside down just like handstand, headstand, forearm stand, etc.
How to do Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand)
- Start with your back on the floor, knees bent slightly and feet in the air.
- Place your hands flat on the floor and roll yourself backward on your upper back using them.
- While doing this, bring your hands to your lower back right above your hips. This is to ensure you remain upright.
- Extend your legs slowly towards the ceiling.
- Hold for about 5 breaths and work towards half a minute.
10. Bhekasana (Frog Pose)
This is another yoga pose that aids weight loss and flat belly.
How to do Bhekasana (Frog Pose)
- Lie on your stomach while reaching back to grab your feet just like in a bow pose.
- Lift your chest up and squeeze your shoulders towards each other, while inhaling.
- Fold your feet towards your hip region then hold your toes with your hands.
- Hold this asana for about 5 breaths then release gradually.
11. Shalabhasana (Locust Pose)
This yoga asana helps to fast-track your weight loss goal.
How to do Shalabhasana (Locust Pose)
- Lie on your stomach with your hands below your thigh while your chin and forehead are resting on the ground.
- Try to raise your right leg straight up to about 10 inches. Leave for about 1 minute
- Don’t bend your knees.
- Repeat the same thing with your left leg.
- Then try doing it with your 2 legs.
12. Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
The Peacock pose helps to shed excess fat from your stomach
How to do Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
- Kneel and sit down on your heels.
- Leave your hands on the floor with your fingers pointing to your body, your thumb outwards and your palms pressed against the floor.
- Place your elbows in a way that they resting against your stomach.
- Ensure to straighten your legs from behind then stretch them.
- Lift up your body on your legs and hands.
- Remember to make sure your legs and body are parallel to the floor.
- Hold for a minute.
13. Chakki Chalan (Grinding Pose)
This Chakki Chalan pose helps to reduce excess belly fat.
How to do Chakki Chalan (Grinding Pose) to Reduce Belly Fat
- Sit comfortably on the floor while spreading your legs straight ahead of you.
- Straighten your legs and leave them like that without bending your knees.
- Then join your hands and move them over your legs in a circular motion. This motion will give you a good massage and stretch your stomach, legs and hands.
- Do this 10 time clockwise and 10 times anti-clockwise.
- Then release slowly.
14. Natarajasana (Lord of the dance pose)
This is a one in all type of yoga asanas for beginner to lose weight in 10 days; however, it works and feels nice to stretch in!
How to do Natarajasana (Lord of the dance pose) for Weight Loss
- On a standing position, take a grip of your left ankle with your left hand.
- Shift your weight forward, and place your right palm on your right knee for support.
- As you lean forward, arch your back, and press outward together with your left foot.
- Tilt your tailbone back to support the arch within the back.
- Slowly raise your right arm forward.
- Check that your left leg is totally straight.
- Hold for about 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite facet.
Hey, wait! Let’s do this last one :
15.Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
Surya Namaskar is a set of yoga poses done in succession that helps to reduce flab especially if you do it regularly.
Since it entails several backward and forward bending poses which flex & stretch your spinal cord.
It provides a good stretch to your entire body.
Many experts consider it to be the best full body yoga asana for weight loss.
Sun salutation doesn’t only reduce your weight; it also protects you from other illnesses.
You have learned how to do yoga asana for weight loss at home.
But that’s is not all … so
How Do you Make Yoga Asanas Work Faster for Weight loss
Increase the time you spend doing yoga asanas for weight loss every day.
- You can spend about 20 minutes doing yoga asanas on the first day.
- On the second day, you can increase the duration to 30 minutes.
- By day 10, you should be spending at least 60 minutes doing yoga asanas.
- This gradual increase in the duration of yoga exercises will make you
Helping you to lose weight faster and, more effectively.
Increase the time and intensity of each asana.
Yoga works more effectively when done intensively and properly.
It is not by the number of yoga asanas you practice.
What do I mean?
You have to ensure you do each pose the right way for best results.
Cautions: Avoid yoga asanas for beginners if you are having these health issues
- Knee injury or joint-pain
- Heavily pregnancy
Here are Other Ways to Lose Weight:
- 10 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss and Flat Belly
- Easy Exercises to Lose Upper Thigh Fat in 7 Days
- 15 Metabolism Boosting Foods for Weight Loss and Flat Stomach
- 3-Day Detox Cleanse for Weight Loss and Flat Belly
If you are looking to lose weight quickly, yoga is a great and healthy option. Practice yoga asanas for beginners to lose weight in order to get rid of excess weight in as fast as 10 days. Apart from losing weight, yoga will also make you feel more energetic and fitter.
Don’t forget that the hardest part of practicing yoga is getting yourself on a mat!
So take action today and get started. I will like to hear from you. If you have any questions, leave it in the comment box below. And don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletters.