A lot of my readers have been sending messages asking for types of flat stomach exercises they can engage in to lose belly fat. This, therefore, prompted the need for this article. Getting in the right shape and having a flat stomach and toned abs cannot occur overnight.
I repeat you cannot get rid of belly fat overnight. However, with a strong commitment to a healthy lifestyle, major changes can occur in even a week. These changes will occur when you follow a proper diet and workout plan.
This article will show you some of the flat stomach exercises that make up a proper workout plan.
Before we get to the flat stomach exercises, let’s do a quick rundown of the effects and causes of belly fat.
Causes of Belly Fat
Belly fat is both unattractive and unhealthy. It increases the risk of certain cancers, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, hypertension, and even death.
Getting rid of belly fat can be difficult. Just like I pointed out earlier, a healthy diet and proper exercises will help get rid of the stubborn fat.
This means you must avoid eating a lot of carbohydrates and saturated fats. Instead, eat more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein, and polyunsaturated fats.
However, there are some specific flat stomach exercises that target belly fat which you will get to know about later on in this article.
Now, have you ever wondered why you have belly fat? Like what are the factors behind this unattractive body shape? You are about to find out.
There a couple of factors that can cause excess belly fat. These factors include:
This plays a major role in the development of belly fat. Your belly is more likely to accumulate a lot of fat as you age or grow older.
This is because your body begins to lose muscle mass causing excess calories to get stored in the belly.
Sometimes you can develop excess belly fat as hormones change. For example, fat gets stored in women’s belly as their estrogen level drops during menopause.
Lack of Exercise
You consume a lot of calories every day and most times just lie around without involving in any form of exercise or activity. This tends to make fat store up in your belly area.
Involving in basic cardio activities such as cycling and running will go a long way in helping you lose calories.
Poor Sleeping Habits
People that have a poor sleeping pattern, that don’t get enough sleep at night are more likely to develop excess belly fat.
This is a major cause of excess belly fat. Stress causes your body to create excess cortisol. It is a hormone in the human body that makes the body store excess calories in the belly area as fat.
This is one of the most common and obvious causes of belly fat. Constantly taking sugary drinks and foods could lead to the development of belly fat.
Now that you know what causes belly fat, next are the solutions. The rest of the article will be about flat stomach exercises you can engage in to lose belly in a week.
11 Flat Stomach Exercises to Lose Belly Fat in a Week
See the flat stomach exercises below:
1. Bicycle Exercise
Cycling not only improves strength, endurance, and cardio capacity, it is also effective for shedding off excess belly fat. It is also useful in building lean body mass.
However, for this workout, you don’t necessarily have to use a bicycle.
- Lie down flat on the ground, keeping your hands behind or on either side of your head.
- Lift your legs up away from the ground into a 90-degree angle as you bend them at your knees.
- Pull your left knee very close to your chest while keeping your right leg out.
- Put your left leg out as you bring your right knee up close to your chest.
- Begin to rotate your legs as if you are riding an actual bicycle.
- Repeat this process 10 times for each leg for 2 consecutive reps/sets or for as long as you can go.
- Do these 4 times a week for quick results.
2. Crunches for Ab
This probably one of the most common flat stomach exercises that burn belly fat. There is hardly any flat stomach exercises list where you won’t find crunches.
Crunches help to burn off the excess fat in your belly and to tone your abs.
- Go down on the ground into a triangle position, lying on your back and bending your knees slightly.
- Firmly place your feet on the ground, keeping them hip-width apart.
- Place your arms behind your head or cross them over your chest.
- Tighten the muscles in your stomach region.
- Raise your upper back and head off the ground using your abs. Exhale while doing this.
- Stay in this position for about 5 seconds.
- Return to the starting position. Inhale while doing this.
- Repeat 10 times to complete one set.
- Perform 5 sets, every day for a major reduction in your belly fat within a week.
3. Hip Lifts
This is a Pilate exercise that builds your core. It also helps to tone your lower belly muscles.
- Lie on the ground keeping both of your hands by your side and palms faced down.
- Ensure that you place your legs together and lift them up towards the ceiling till it forms a 90-degree position with your body.
- Keep your shoulders and head on the ground throughout the course of the entire exercise.
- Inhale deeply and tighten your abs.
- Then exhale as you lift and curl your hips towards your ribs ensuring your legs are straight.
- Inhale has you lower your hips slowly.
- Repeat the process at least 10 times.
- Remember to always exhale while raising your hips and inhale while bringing them down.
- Repeat every day for quick results in one week.
You May Also Like This: How to Lose Arm Fat Fast in a Week; 9 Best Arm Fat Workouts
4. Leg Circles
- Lie on the ground, keeping your hands by your sides, keeping your toes and feet pointed forward.
- Lift your left leg towards the ceiling until it is at a 90-degree angle with your body.
- Ensure that you point your toes towards the ceiling and remain in that position for about a minute.
- Rotate your left leg starting from your hips as if you are drawing a circle.
- Inhale deeply just as you are about to begin each circle and exhale deeply as it comes to an end.
- Perform 6 circles then reverse the direction of the movement.
- Draw 6 circles again, this time anti-clock wisely.
- Slowly lower your left leg and repeat the entire process using your right leg.
- Perform a minimum of 10 sets every day for a flat belly.
5. Leg Drops
This is an effective exercise for getting rid of stubborn belly fat. Leg drops tone and strengthens your abs.
- Lie on the ground. Ensure your lower back is lying flat on the ground throughout the entire exercise.
- Inhale deeply as you slowly raise your legs till they are at a 90-degree angle with your body.
- Exhale as you lower your legs slowly using your abs.
- Repeat this process minimum 10m times.
- Do this every day to burn belly fat.
6. The Plank
- Lie on your belly on an exercise mat.
- Lift your upper body as you place your body weight on your knees and forearms.
- Lift each of your knees one by one while shifting your bodyweight to your toes.
- Ensure your body is in a straight line.
- Inhale deeply as you hold that position for at least 45 seconds.
- Exhale as you return to your starting position.
- Repeat 3 times every day for fast results.
7. Chair Pose
Utkatasana is a yoga pose that is popularly known as chair pose is another of the several flat stomach exercises to get rid of excess belly fat. It strengthens and tones your abs.
It also stimulates your heart and works your legs and arms muscles.
- Stand straight and upright with your legs hip-width apart.
- Slowly raise your hands over your head. Inhale while doing this.
- Fold your body till forms a 45-degree angle. Exhale while doing this.
- Ensure that you bend your knees slightly like you want to sit in an actual chair.
- Hold this position for one minute while looking straight ahead and taking deep breaths.
- Inhale deeply as you stand up straight.
- Exhale as you release your hands to your sides.
- Repeat 10 times to complete one rep.
- Do this every day to lose belly in a week.
8. Dumbbell Squats
- Firmly place your legs on the ground, shoulder-width apart.
- Hold 2 equal-sized dumbbells in your hands.
- Shift your hips backward as if you want to sit on an actual chair.
- Stretch out your arms then squat.
- Ensure that your chest is far above your hips.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat this for about 10 times then gradually increase up to 20 times.
- Do this every day for one week for a flat stomach.
9. Flutter Kicks
This is one of the very popular flat stomach exercises. If you want to get a flat stomach or toned thighs and hips, you should totally try this exercise.
- Lie flat on the floor.
- Place your hand just behind the head and keep shoulders and head slightly off the floor.
- Place legs together, straight and extended outwards.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and lift your legs off the floor.
- Start doing flutter kicks, raising one of your legs a few inches off the floor and returning back to the initial position. As your left leg goes down, bring the right one up.
- Continue doing this till you get tired.
- Go on a break then repeat the process again. Do about 10 reps.
- Repeat every day to lose belly fat at home.
10. Mountain Climber
This is an effective back, legs, arms and abs workout to reduce belly fat.
- Place palms on the ground shoulder-length apart.
- Raise your body till it is in a straight line. Then shift your bodyweight to your toes.
- Bring forward your left knee towards your chest and return to initial position,
- Repeat the same thing, this time using your right knee.
- Repeat the entire process, alternating between your left and right knee.
- Do this every day for about 10 minutes for a flat and toned belly.
11. Front Bridge
This is one of the flat stomach exercises that not only tone your belly but also strengthens your back and core muscles.
- Lie facing the floor and resting on elbows.
- Inhale deeply as you suck in your tummy.
- Hold this position for as long as you can and keep your toes touching the floor and your knees straight.
- Repeat this workout 10 times.
- Do this every day to reduce belly fat.
Regular exercising is one of the best ways to lose belly fat. Combine the above flat stomach exercises with a healthy diet lifestyle for quick results. Also engage in simple cardio workouts like jogging, swimming, dancing, cycling, running and even climbing the steps.
We will appreciate if you stop by after a week to drop your feedback. Good luck!