A friend of mine asked me last week if I know what she can do to tighten loose skin after weight loss. It was then that I looked at her well and noticed she had lost some of weight but her loose skin was still ruining her appearance.
This encounter inspired me to do some research and write this article to enlighten a lot of people out there in a similar condition on how to tighten loose skin after weight loss naturally.
Sadly, after all the efforts you put into losing weight, you now end up with loose skin. This can be disappointing and annoying. Loose skin affects your quality of life and appearance, negatively.
Next thing you know, you are back on the internet searching for ways to tighten loose skin after weight loss. Well, I wrote this article to put an end to all your worries about your loose and flabby skin.
In fact, this article will enlighten you about the various causes of that loose hanging skin as well as the problems associated with loose skin.
You will also learn some important tips on how to tighten loose skin after weight loss. These will help you get rid of loose skin naturally and permanently.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Factors Attributable to Loose Skin
- 0.2 Problems Associated with Loose Skin
- 1 Natural Remedies to Tighten Loose Skin after Weight Loss
- 1.1 1. Slow Down Your Weight Loss
- 1.2 2. Engage in Strength Training to Build More Lean Muscle
- 1.3 3. Eat Right!
- 1.4 4. Stay Hydrated
- 1.5 5. Use Firming Cream to Tighten Loose Skin
- 1.6 6. Sea Salt Scrub
- 1.7 7. Olive Oil or Coconut Oil Massage
- 1.8 8. Add Gelatin Supplements to Your Diet
- 1.9 9. Quit Smoking!
- 1.10 10. Limit Your Exposure to the Sun
- 1.11 11. Patience is Key
Factors Attributable to Loose Skin
Do you know what causes loose and saggy skin after weight loss? If you don’t, you are about to find out. Loose skin is simply a condition when the skin loses its elasticity.
Factors that cause this to occur include the following:
- Total weight lost: If you lose 46 kg (100 pounds) of weight or more, it results in a lot of extra skin.
- Length of time obese or overweight: Generally, the longer a person is obese or overweight, the looser his or her skin would be after losing weight. This is usually because of collagen and elastin loss.
- Genetics: Your genes affect the way your skin reacts to weight loss.
- Age: Older people’s skin contains less collagen than the skin of younger people. It, therefore, tends to be saggy and flabby after weight loss.
- Smoking: Another known factor that reduces the skin’s production of collagen is smoking. It is one of the prominent causes of a loose and saggy skin.
- Sun exposure: Research over time show that excessive exposure to sun rays reduces the skin’s elastin and collagen production. This may lead to loose skin after weight loss.
- Dehydration: I cannot overemphasize the importance of drinking a lot of water every day; at least 8 glasses. Water keeps you hydrated and improves your overall health. It also helps to prevent the appearance of loose skin after weight loss.
- Poor nutrition: If you are on a poor and unhealthy diet, it could lead to your skin losing its elasticity.
Problems Associated with Loose Skin
Apart from ruining your overall appearance, loose skin resulting from weight loss can also pose emotional and physical challenges. Problems associated with loose skin include:
Excess or loose skin can be quite uncomfortable. A study found that this problem is prominent in people that had lost 50 kg (110 pounds) of weight or more.
Decreased Physical activity:
A study of 26 women revealed that loose skin limited exercise mobility of 76% of them. In fact, 45% of them stopped exercising because people kept staring at them because of their flabby and saggy skin.
Skin Irritation and Breakdown:
Another study conducted on about 124 people that wanted to undergo loose skin surgery to tighten loose skin after weight loss showed that 44% of them wanted to get rid of loose skin because it made them suffer skin pain, ulcer, and infections.
Poor Body Shape:
Loose and flabby skin resulting from weight loss can have a negative impact on your mood and body image.
Natural Remedies to Tighten Loose Skin after Weight Loss
The following natural remedies may help improve your skin elasticity, strength and get rid of loose skin without surgery. Try them out to fix sagging skin.
1. Slow Down Your Weight Loss
Your skin takes time to adapt to your new body size after weight loss. So you need to slow down the speed at which you are losing weight so that it will be easier for your skin to adjust its level of elasticity to match the muscle tone of your new slimmer figure.
2. Engage in Strength Training to Build More Lean Muscle
Fat is not the only thing that you lose during weight loss. You also lose lean muscle mass and it affects your skin’s elasticity negatively.
You need to build more lean muscle, so your skin’s elasticity can fit your changing body. To build more lean muscle, do less of cardio and engage more in strength training workouts.
You May Also Like This: 7 Best Full Body Workout Routines (Lose Weight and Get Flat Belly)
3. Eat Right!
Collagen and elastin are what maintain and improve your skin’s elasticity. There are some foods that contain nutrients necessary to produce elastin and collagen. Add these foods to your diet to tighten belly skin. The foods include; protein-rich foods like tofu, beans, milk, cottage cheese, fish as well as nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, and omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Stay Hydrated
Staying well hydrated always is an easy trick to tighten loose skin after weight loss. It improves your skin’s health, elasticity, and overall appearance. Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day to shrink loose skin.
5. Use Firming Cream to Tighten Loose Skin
Can you tighten up loose stomach using firming creams? The answer is Yes! Although it might be a temporary solution in some situations, it is quite effective.
For best results, use firming creams that contain nutrients like Vitamin A and E and herbal ingredients.
You May Also Like This: 10 Best Shoulder Exercises to Tone and Lose Arm Fat Fast
6. Sea Salt Scrub
Scrubbing your body improves blood flow and circulation which in turn improves the elasticity and health of your skin. A lot of scientists recommend that you apply natural scrubs like sea salt to improve your blood circulation and to tighten loose skin after weight loss.
Use the sea salt scrub every time you take your bath to remove dead cells, improve blood circulation, nourish your skin and improve its elasticity.
Don’t forget to apply a good moisturizer containing vitamin E and collagen-rich ingredients, after using the sea salt scrub. This will help maintain skin elasticity.
Sea Salt Scrub Recipes to Tighten Loose Skin
Here’s a recipe for an easy, yet effective Sea Salt Scrub you can make at home to tighten loose skin:
- Add one cup of fine sea salt and a 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil into a small jar with a lid.
- Then stir until the salt is dissolved.
- Add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil and mix well.
- Wash your the affected area with warm water to open up skin pores.
- Then massage the sea salt scrub into the affected area for 30 seconds.
- Remove the salt scrub by rinsing your skin with warm water and clean your skin a soft towel.
- Do this at least for 2 weeks
7. Olive Oil or Coconut Oil Massage
Olive oil/ coconut oil is very important for improving overall skin health. They contain antioxidants and vitamins that are very beneficial to your skin.
Getting a deep olive oil or coconut oil massage before going to bed will moisten your skin, nourish it, improve blood flow/circulation, improve your skin’s elasticity and leave it supple and firm. Expect a radiant, tight and soft skin if you get this massage regularly.
8. Add Gelatin Supplements to Your Diet
Gelatin is the protein derived from collagen which is very important to maintain the overall health of your skin.
Research reveals that gelatin stimulates collagen production which leads to the improvement of your skin’s elasticity. Include about 250 mg of gelatin in your daily diet plan to tighten loose skin after weight loss.
9. Quit Smoking!
Smoking can be very detrimental to your overall health. It causes your skin to age and wrinkles faster. It reduces the moisture and vitamin A content of your skin.
Smoking also reduces the texture, brightness, and elasticity of your skin. So, if you really want to tighten skin after weight loss, you need to quit or at least reduce the rate at which you smoke.
You May Also Like This: 10 Essential Oils for Skin Care Recipes (Get Rid Acne and Tightening Skin)
10. Limit Your Exposure to the Sun
Exposing your skin to the sun too much can affect your skin’s elasticity negatively. Over time, sun rays may make your skin dry and even damage it. Same goes for chlorinated water.
So, do less swimming and sunbathing to maintain and improve your skin’s elasticity. Even when you have to go sunbathing or swimming, make sure you shower immediately after and apply a moisturizer that contains vitamins and aloe vera, to your skin.
11. Patience is Key
Just as you were patient during the weight loss process, you need to also be patient when you want to tighten loose skin after weight loss. You need to give your skin enough time to adjust to its physical changes. Losing extra skin does not happen overnight. So don’t get discouraged if expected results don’t occur immediately.
You May Also Like These:
- How to Get Rid of Skin Tags-10 Easy Natural Painless Ways
- 9 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs, Legs and Bum Fast
The Bottom Line
These are all-natural remedies you can use to tighten loose skin after weight loss. These remedies are very effective but sometimes may require time and patience. What is important is for you to always love your skin and enjoy your body no matter the condition. This way, your confidence level will always be high.
I hope these remedies help you get rid of your loose and flabby skin. If you don’t see any notable changes after two weeks of using these remedies, consult a professional for better advice.
Keep us updated on your journey to tighten loose skin, using the comments section. Good luck!