There are so many studies that have been conducted on whether low-calorie diet, low-fat diet, or low carb diet are more effective to lose weight fat.
However, the purpose of this article is not to compare these diet plans, but to show you how to lose weight quickly using a low-fat diet.
What is a Low-Fat Diet?
Most people in the US obtain about half of their daily calories (energy) from carbs.
Also, they get about one-third of their calorie intake from fat, with the remaining energy coming from foods with protein.
Normally, this is the best way of eating. It is a balance and a healthy mixture of minerals and vitamins.
However, some of us may want to try and burn body fat to achieve our goal on how to lose weight quickly.
As such, we resort to a low-fat diet for weight loss.
A low-fat diet is simply a diet plan where less than 30% of our calorie intake (energy) are gotten from fat.
It entails lowering the quantity of saturated fat that is present in your diet. This will help you to reduce calories and also improve your healthy eating habit.
However, you must be careful of some food products that have “low fat” as a label. Some of these just replace the lost fat with a higher quantity of carbs.
Low Fat Diet and Weight Loss
Many questions have been asked if a low-fat diet can help you lose belly fat and aid weight loss in general.
The simple answer to this is YES.
A low-fat diet can help you on how to lose weight quickly but only if you follow the guidelines of saturated, unsaturated, and also trans fats consumption.
It is important that you know that eating excess junk foods that contain high amounts of trans fats will not help you to lose weight.
It is a known fact that fats have a high concentration of calories.
However, we now know that a high or low calorie does not mean a food is bad or good.
A good example is junk foods and also zero calorie beverages and drinks.
These foods and drinks may have low amounts of calories, but they also have little to nothing nutrients in them.
Instead, they have a high number of refined sugar and salt, artificial additives, and also trans fats that are harmful to the body.
You can consider consuming those unsaturated fats that are healthy.
For those that are considering a low-fat diet and is also approved by your doctor, then you should continue reading this article.
Foods to Eat on a Low Fat Diet
Low-fat diets are a good alternative on how to lose weight quickly.
If you are considering a low-fat diet, it is only important that you do it right.
Below is a list of foods that you can eat on a low-fat diet plan.
1. Eat Fruits
Fruits are just perfect for those that are looking for snacks that are sweet are low in fat.
Almost all fruits available are high in vitamins, fiber, and minerals while low in fat at the same time.
They are also known to contain potent antioxidants.
Some of the fruits you can eat are an apple, peach, orange, lemon, sweet lime, lime, avocado, pineapple, plum, and tangerine.
You can decide to add your fruits to salads and smoothies.
Alternatively, you can also take them using various dips.
2. Healthy Fats
Healthy fats are sources of foods that not help you on how to lose weight quickly, but also help to keep your heart healthy.
Gone are the days when the consumption of fats was frowned upon.
The body needs healthy fat to keep it functioning at an optimal level.
Some of the foods you can consume include olive oil, walnut, avocado, almond, avocado oil, chia seeds, peanut butter, ghee, almond butter, flax seeds, and pistachio.
3. Take Low Fat Dairy
Dairy contains a lot of nutrients and is also helpful on how to lose weight quickly.
It gives you that feeling of fullness to make you satisfied for a long time.
Some of the dairy you can use include low-fat milk, low-fat cheese, and low-fat yogurt in small amounts.
However, you should be aware that the best dairy to lose weight is full-fat dairy.
4. Drink Beverages
When combined with a healthy lifestyle, there are some beverages that will help you lose weight fast.
These beverages help to reduce hunger, boost fullness, and also increase metabolism.
For those that are sensitive to caffeine, you might want to avoid caffeine.
5. Eat More Protein
When it comes to the quickest way to lose weight at home, while also getting a perfect body, then protein is the king.
Protein helps to boost your metabolism while also decreasing hunger.
However, you must make sure you consume fewer calories than you actually burn.
Some of the protein-rich foods you can eat include; eggs, fish, tofu, soya chunk, soybean, skinless chicken breast, mushroom, kidney beans, chickpeas, peas, edamame, lentils, sprouts, and Bengal gram.
6. Eat Veggies
Vegetables are another great food that you should incorporate into your daily diet.
They help you lose belly fat fast. Veggies are loaded with fiber.
They’re also packed with a lot of vitamins and minerals which can help boost your metabolism.
The veggies help to burn your body fat faster.
Some of the vegetables you can eat include; carrot, cabbage, beetroot, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, radish, spinach, chard, scallions, kale, radish greens, rhubarb, cucumber, bitter gourd, okra, cherry tomatoes, squash, bottle gourd, eggplant, and onion.
7. Try Spices and Herbs
Herbs and spices are known to help you maintain healthy body weight.
They boost your metabolism, suppress hunger and also help to burn fat tissue.
Some of the herbs and spices you should consider incorporating into your diet plan include; cilantro, garlic, dill, cumin, turmeric, saffron, cinnamon, allspice, chili flakes, sage, star anise, oregano, ginger, fennel, coriander, mace, nutmeg, cardamom, cayenne pepper, and basil.
Foods to Avoid on a Low Fat Diet
Just like there are recommended foods you can eat, there are also foods you must avoid on how to lose weight quickly using a low-fat diet.
Some of these foods include;
- The fatty area of pork and beef.
- Soda, packaged smoothies, packaged juices, packaged buttermilk, and diet soda.
- Junk foods such as fried foods, soda, processed foods, zero calorie drinks, frozen foods, and also refined sugar.
- Dairy such as Cream cheese.
Sample Low Fat Diet Plan on How To Lose Weight Quickly
Now that you know what you can and cannot eat on a low diet plan, it’s time to show you a sample plan.
Below is a sample healthy low-fat diet for weight loss that you can follow.
Early Morning Beverage
- This should always be taken between 6 am and 7 am.
- Take a glass of water and mix it with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- This should be taken between 6:45 am and 7:45 am.
- Mix a bowl of oatmeal with low-fat milk, berries, and four almonds.
Mid Morning Snack
- This should be taken between 9:30 am and 10:30 am.
- Take a cucumber with a small glass of hummus dip.
- Always take your lunch between 12:30 pm and 1 pm.
- You can take a cup of mushroom salad or tuna salad with a glass of buttermilk.
- Always take this between 3:30 pm and 4 pm.
- You can take a glass of green tea with two saltine crackers or one digestive biscuit.
Low Fat Diet – Dinner
- You should take your dinner between 7 pm and 7:30 pm.
- A cup of lentil soup mixed with veggies is a good choice for dinner.
Read More on Weight Loss:
- 9 Healthy Protein Shake Recipes to Lose Weight and Belly Fat Fast
- Ketogenic Diet Menu: 7 Day Keto Meal Plan to Lose Weight for Beginners
- 9 Weight Loss Drinks to Lose up to 10 pounds and Belly Fat Fast
- 3-Day Tuna Diet for Weight Loss and Flat Belly: Lose 10 Pounds Fast
- 5 Fat Flush Cranberry Detox Drink Recipes for Weight Loss and Flat Belly
- 7 Fat Burning Infused Water Recipes for Weight Loss and Flat Belly
Benefits of Low Fat Diet
Apart from the fact that a low-fat diet can help you with how to lose weight quickly, there are also many benefits to this diet.
These benefits have been backed up by health experts over the years.
Some of the benefits of a low-fat diet are listed below.
- Low-fat diet makes your body feel light and energetic.
- It can also increase longevity.
- It can reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- The low-fat diet also aids weight loss (2), though might be short term.
- It can also help reduce inflammation in your body. (3).
Side Effects of Low Fat Diet
Like everything else, a low-fat diet also has its own side effects or risks.
The following risks are associated with abstaining completely from fat.
- Completely avoiding fat can result in mineral and vitamins deficiency.
- It can also increase the chances of the presence of high triglycerides in your blood.
- There may be difficulty in letting go of the excess weight.
- It can also increase the chances of developing cardiovascular diseases.
Your daily diet should always include some sort of fat. They are integral components of the diet. You should only consume saturated and healthy fats in small amounts.
Also, it is recommended that you only go on a low-fat diet if you have a specific medical condition and your doctor approves it (4).
It is definitely a good alternative to help you on how to lose weight quickly.