Do you have headaches and migraines? Is it now becoming a cause of concern for you? If yes, you are certainly not alone. This article will share amazing essential oil recipes for quick headache migraine relief. Read on.
Millions of people experience headaches and migraines from one time to the other worldwide.
However, the good news is that there are essential oils for headaches and migraine which can be used to treat headaches and migraines.
Essential oil serves as a good treatment for headaches and migraines because they deal with the cause of the problem. They don’t reduce the pain temporarily they treat the cause of the problem.
They aid the free flow of blood circulation in the body and reduce stress. Apart from treating headache and migraine, the essential oil can be used for different purposes. This explains why it has been used by different people over the years.
These essential oils are a highly concentrated liquid which is made from flowers, stems, roots, leaves, barks or other parts of a plant. In addition, essential oils have no serious side effects when you use them the right way.
Most importantly, different reasons can be the cause of headaches and migraines. They can be as a result of hormonal imbalance in women, allergies, lack of sleep, stress, depression, anxiety, etc.
Apart from these, a whole lot of factors can lead to stress and anxiety in people. But whatever the cause might be, essential oil can effectively treat headaches and migraines.
Types of Headaches
Migraine Headaches – Intense pain, often throbbing.
Symptoms: nausea or vomiting; light, noise, and smell sensitivity; loss of appetite.
Cluster Headaches – Intense piercing pain behind or around one eye
Tension Headaches – Mild pain that comes and goes with no other symptoms.
Sinus Headaches – Caused by a sinus infection,
Symptoms: runny nose, fever, or swelling in the face.
Hormone Headaches – Generally common among women due to PMS, menopause, or pregnancy hormone changes.
Here are 9 best essential oils for headaches and migraines and how to use them.
9 Best Essential Oils for Headaches and Migraines + How to Use Them
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender is an effective essential oil migraines bomb, which provides relief for headaches and migraines. It can also be used to relieve stress and relaxation.
Lavender oil works as an anti-anxiety, anti-depressant calming agent for your body.
Lavender oil also helps to get rid of restlessness and enables you to get enough sleep.
It also regulates the serotonin levels in the body. This helps to reduce pain in the nervous system that can lead to migraine attacks.
Inhaling lavender oil can help one to manage a serious headache and migraine.
To enjoy these benefits of lavender oil:
- You should place 5 drops of lavender oil at home or at work.
- Also, add 5 to 10 drops of lavender oil to your warm-water bath.
- You can buy a diffuser online and run diffuser for about 45 minutes, three times a day.
You can also inhale deeply so the sedative properties begin to work effectively and to reduce headache tension.
Lavender oil can be applied directly to the skin. However, please ensures you dilute it with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
2. Rosemary Essential Oil
For a long time now, rosemary essential oil has been used to treat headaches. Rosemary essential oil also contains anti-inflammatory and pain killing properties.
These properties are essential in treating migraine and headache.
Rosemary oil reduces the stress level in the body and reduces the emotional triggers that can lead to a headache.
It also soothes any form of stomach upset and aids easy digestion of food in the body.
The oil also improves your sleeping patterns, treat convulsions, reduce tension and muscle jerks.
If you experience a headache or migraine attacks:
- Take a drop of rosemary oil and add it to your tea, water, and soup.
- You can also mix two drops of rosemary with one teaspoon of coconut oil, two drops of peppermint and rub them on your forehead, temple and at the back of your neck.
3. Peppermint Oil
This essential oil is good for headaches and migraines and it is also a young living essential oil for headaches and migraines.
Peppermint is generally a very safe oil one can use. But a large amount of it can be toxic to the body. Also, when taken orally, it is known to lead to a heartburn.
According to a review done in 2015, it discovered that peppermint oil can work for headaches. The review also discovered that the properties present in peppermint helps to reduce the intensity of migraines.
There are different ways you can use peppermint oil and they are as follows
How to Use Peppermint Oil for Headaches Recipes
- Add peppermint oil to your massage oil
You can add the oil to your massage oil before applying it on your skin. However, ensure you are not allergic to any of these oil before applying it.
Drink Peppermint tea
- You can add peppermint leaf inside a warm water to make a peppermint tea. This will help you think clearly and be in control of your body.
- Put a few drops in your bath water
- Adding a few drops of peppermint to your bath water can really help you relax better.
- Also, having a bath can reduce the intensity of headaches and migraines.
Inhale peppermint oil
- Steam inhalation can heal a sinus headache.
- To enjoy this benefit, you should add 3 to 7 drops of peppermint into hot water.
- Place a towel over your head and keep your eyes closed.
- Ensure you breathe through your nose and do this for 3-5 minutes anytime you have a headache or a migraine.
4. Doterra Essential Oil for Headaches
One of the best essential oils for headaches and migraine brand is Doterra essential oil.
This oil provides several benefits, but it is well known for the healing properties it provides to cure headaches and migraines.
Doterra essential oil comes with different essential oil blends( peppermint plus lavender etc) that help the muscle to relax and balance out the mind and the body.
This oil can be used in different ways depending on your preference.
- One of the ways you can use this oil is by adding 4-6 drops of it into your warm bathing water.
- This will promote relaxation and reduce pain.
- You can also massage your body with the oil. It brings quick relief to the body.
- Ensure you massage your temples and the back of your neck. (Buy One Here)
5. Chamomile Essential Oil
This is one of the oldest essential oils for headaches and migraines.
Chamomile oil is made from chamomile flowers which has a unique calming effect on the nervous system and on the muscles of the body.
It also has some anti-inflammatory properties which may reduce headaches. Over the years, it has been used by people to treat different health ailments.
The analgesic properties in the essential oil for headaches and migraines also help to decrease the intensity of a headache, toothaches, bone injuries, and sinus pressure.
It can also help to reduce anxiety level and improve the quality of your sleep.
To treat a migraine or a headache
- Take a drop of chamomile essential oil and add it to your tea, water or soup.
- You can also mix two drops of chamomile essential oil with two drops of peppermint oil and one teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Now rub it on your forehead, temples and the back of your head.
6. Eucalyptus Oil for Sinus Tension
This is an essential oil which is great for healing sinus headache because it eliminates nasal buildup and clears the airways.
Eucalyptus open the nasal passage, clear the sinus and reduce the sinus tension.
The antibacterial properties of the oil can help cure a cold faster and help prevent a cold.
In fact, this essential oil for headaches and migraines also treat respiratory conditions.
It also promotes the secretion of sputum which further gets rid of the sinus pressure.
To enjoy the benefits of this essential oil,
- Dilute two to four drops of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
- Now apply it on your back, chest, neck, temples, and forehead.
7. Clary Sage Oil
This essential oil is gotten from the clary sage herb. This herb is mainly used to treat vision problem and promote good vision.
Clary sage oil also helps to reduce headaches and migraines. It reduces blood pressure by relaxing the veins and arteries which reduce stress and tension.
This oil also widens the blood vessels which gives room for the easy flow of blood in the body.
It also helps to balance of hormone which treats a hormonal headache. It also treats premenstrual signs.
Sage oil also calms your muscle down during stress, depression and prevents insomnia.
Clary sage oil relieves one from muscles stiffness and cramps. This oil promotes relaxation during childbirth and eases the menopause symptoms.
This oil can be used to clean a wound and it protects the body against infections. It can also be used to stimulate hair growth and can be used to treat dandruff issues.
It provides the benefit of regulating the production of oil and reduce the inflammation that can lead to dermatitis.
- Add a few drops of clary sage oil to your bath water to address pain and stress.
- You can use the oil to massage your forehead and the back of your neck.
8. Ginger Oil
Ginger oil has been used for a wide range of purposes.
It contains a whole lot of anti-inflammatory properties which makes it good for relieving one from headaches and migraines.
Ginger oil can also stimulate easy food digestion in the body.
It prevents vomiting, boosts the flow of blood in the body and promotes a healthy heart. Ginger may also prevent an ulcer.
How to use ginger oil for Headaches and Migraines
- Add a few drops of ginger to your diffuser whenever I feel migraines or headaches
- And diffuse it for about 30-45 minutes a day 3 times a week
- Grate fresh ginger and pour it inside boiling water. Now filter and drink the warm liquid of water.
- You can also inhale the vapors from the ginger juice after crushing ginger inside warm water.
- Inhale the vapors which give instant relief to headaches and migraines.
9. Basil for Headaches and Migraines
This is great for hormonal headaches and digestive headaches. It can also be used to relieve one from a migraine.
Basil is one of the good essential oils for headaches and migraine.
It can also promote the general well-being of your health and increase your body immunity level.
Basil relieves one from muscle cramps. It also treats colds, flu, and anxiety.
How to use sweet basil for headaches and migraines relief
- You can inhale it or consume it through food or beverages.
- You can also massage basil oil into your temples or other areas for relief. But, ensure you mix your basil oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
- Another way of using basil to treat a headache is to add water and fresh basil or a few drops of basil oil to hot water.
- Then place a towel over your head then inhale the steam for 10–15 minutes.
- You can also make a dish and add basil leave into it.
Essential oils can be used for different purposes and are categorized into different classes below.
Essential Oil for a Tension Headaches
- There are different types of headaches and luckily there are some essential oils that can help treat a tension headache.
- These oils are peppermint, lavender, Eucalyptus, Helichrysum.
- These different essential oils can be applied on the body with a carrier oil, you can also inhale it or diffuse it.
Essential Oil for a Cluster Headaches
- There are different essential oil which can be used for cluster headaches.
- They are Clary sage, lavender, peppermint oil, Eucalyptus oil, Rosemary oil.
- You can inhale the oil or diffuse it.
Essential oil Good for a Sinus Headaches
- Eucalyptus is an essential oil which is good for a sinus headache.
- This is done by eliminating the nasal buildup and clear the airways.
- It also reduces sinus tension which helps to get rid of a sinus headache.
Other Related Resources:
- Essential Oils for Muscle Pain: 7 Best Oils Recipes That Work
- How to Get Rid of Period Cramps-7 Menstrual Cramps Relief Hacks
- 10 Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth + How to Use Them
- 10 Essential Oils for Skin Care Recipes (Get Rid Acne and Tightening Skin)
Risks or Cautions
In as much essential oil are great for healing headaches and migraines, you should also be aware of the risks involved.
This will help you take caution and take preventive measures when using essential oil
The essential oil should not be used excessively. A small portion of it is perfect for healing. Ensure you not also allergic to any of these oil before using it.
Also, if you have sensitive skin, kindly avoid rubbing it directly on your skin.
Pregnant women should also avoid clary sage oil because studies have shown that it can induce contractions in pregnant women.
Peppermint oil should not be used on small children because it can cause life-threatening breathing problems.
Most importantly, if you are on any medication, consult your Doctor before using eucalyptus oil because it may reduce the effectiveness of certain medicines.
It can also lead to asthma attacks.
In conclusion, essential oils are generally safe and effective to use. However, there is a need to apply these oils properly to prevent any serious side effects.
Do you have any questions? Please, let’s know in the comment section below. Stay healthy!