Yet the weight has refused to come off or you are struggling to maintain the weight.
Luckily, this article will focus on how you can use essential oil for weight loss.
What are the Factors that can Affect Weight Loss?
There are certain factors that factors that affect weight loss which includes your
- and metabolism rate.
While it may work for others, it may not work for you.
Perhaps it’s time to consider using essential oils for weight loss and flat belly.
However, there is nothing like ‘spot reduction’. You cannot just work on getting your belly flat alone.
It works together with the whole body.
You probably have heard about essential oils? Right?
Though you may be wondering what has essential oil got to do with weight loss?
A lot actually!
Essential Oil Extraction and Aromatherapy
Essential oils are the highly concentrated version of the natural oils in plants.
Getting essential oils from plants is done with a process called distillation.
The most commonly used method is distillation by steam or water.
Here, many parts of the plants are being used, including the plant roots, leaves, stems, flowers, or bark.
After going through the distillation process, the outcome is a highly concentrated portion of essential oil.
The oil will have the characteristic fragrance and properties of the plant from which it was extracted.
It will also contain the true essence of the plant it came from.
This includes not only the smell but also the plant’s healing properties and other plant characteristics.
Once the aromatic chemicals have been extracted, they are combined with a carrier oil to create an effective product.
The way the oils are made is very important and necessary.
This is because essential oils obtained through chemical processes are not considered true essential oils.
Essential Oils Uses and Benefits
- I bet you are beginning to have an idea how this highly potent extract of a plant can be useful for many purposes.
- Essential oils are most commonly used in the practice of aromatherapy (1).
- Aromatherapy is the art of using essential oils to balance and harmonize the body and mind.
- It helps to stimulate certain areas of the brain which can have a huge positive impact on your physical and mental state.
- Some oils have powerful anti-inflammation properties, while others are anti-microbial, antiseptic or insecticidal.
- In the same way, there are some unique essential oils that have fat-burning compounds.
- Others can also help alleviate cravings and uplift mood.
So, are you ready to harness the power of the world’s most proven therapeutic compounds?
How to Use Essential Oils for Weight Loss
Are you ready to learn which essential oils to use for weight loss?
This article will guide you on how to explore the many essential oils for weight loss.
It will also show you its benefits and uses for weight loss.
Be ready to open your mind to a whole new way of preventing and reversing health conditions.
You can overcome most common hiccups that discourage people battling with weight loss like fatigue, digestive problems, inflammation, sugar cravings, and lack of motivation.
You may already be aware that essential oils can do wonders for stress and anxiety (2).
Staying motivated to keep that weight off is no doubt psychological.
So whether you fight constant cravings, sugary foods, fatigue and low moods or struggle with poor digestion, sluggish metabolism and emotional eating, incorporating essential oils as a part of your weight loss program can be the missing link that drives you to maintain your weight loss goals.
Read on to see how essential oils can be a vital part of your weight loss journey.
10 Best Essential Oils For Weight Loss
1. Grapefruit Essential Oil for Weight Loss
Ever been told that grapefruit is one of the best fruits to eat for weight loss and fat-burning?
Well, that’s because some of grapefruit’s active ingredients are super beneficial.
They can help to boost metabolism and reduce your appetite.
Grapefruit has been known for decades to benefit weight loss, but the popularity of using concentrated grapefruit essential oil for the same effects is now becoming more popular.
Grapefruit essential oil is a potent extract derived from the Citrus paradisi grapefruit plant.
You can consider grapefruit as a natural stress-fighter, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant food and anticarcinogenic.
Grapefruit oil has a sweet, crisp, and uplifting aroma and it is commonly used as an antiseptic and a disinfectant.
This essential oil has been popular for decades in helping people lose weight. It is extracted from the fresh peel or rind.
Grapefruit essential oil aids in suppressing appetite, detoxifying the body, dissolves fat and helps prevent bloating and water retention in the body.
The Rind, from where the oil is extracted, contains high concentrations of Nootkatone, a component which activates AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK).
AMPK stimulates the body to use up sugar and reduces the accumulation of fat which leads to increased weight loss.
Limonene, another key component of grapefruit oil, induces lipolysis, a process where fat and protein are deconstructed by the body and dissolved.
How To Use Grapefruit For Weight Loss:
- Drink it. Add 1-2 drops of therapeutic-grade grapefruit essential oil in water (one glassful).
- Drink it as soon as you wake up in the morning. This routine will help to improve metabolism, increase fat loss, detoxify the body by flushing out toxins.
- It will also help to maintain your weight. Drinking grapefruit oil after a meal can help you digest food better and alleviate bloating
You can Inhale it.
- when you have sudden cravings, the fresh scent of grapefruit oil can do wonders.
- Inhale directly from the bottle or add a few drops to a cotton ball and breathe deeply.
- Smelling grapefruit oil relaxes the parasympathetic gastric nerve.
- This is the body’s main mechanism that activates ghrelin-induced feeding (our body’s natural process of having food cravings).
Rub it on your Body.
- Apply grapefruit oil on your wrists, chest, temples, and just under your nose. This will control cravings and curb your appetite.
Diffuse, Use Essential oil Diffuser
- Add a few drops of grapefruit oil to your diffuser, especially when a craving strikes. It helps to restrain late-night snacking.
2. Cinnamon Essential Oil for Weight Loss
If you love eating cakes, cookies, and other sweets, cinnamon essential oil will really help you with your weight loss.
This oil aids in controlling your blood sugar and insulin release, which in turn keeps your sugar cravings in check
Peradventure you know someone with diabetes who uses cinnamon or cinnamon essential oil, there’s a good reason behind it.
Most diabetic patients use cinnamon essential oil to lower the level of blood sugar.
Because it has anti-microbial, anti-parasitic, anti-oxidant and free radical scavenging properties which has been linked to lowering blood glucose, serum cholesterol.
Research revealed that cinnamon oil has shown gerat potential in regulating blood glucose levels and the glucose tolerance factor (GTF) in the body.
Cinnamon oil is very concentrated with antioxidants, which makes it effective as a natural digestive aid, blood sugar stabilizer, and circulation booster.
That is important because unbalanced blood sugar levels can cause over-eating, reduced energy levels, sugar cravings, irritability and weight gain.
Also adding cinnamon oil to your food can help slow down how fast glucose is released into your bloodstream. And in the long-run will assist you in your weight loss goals
According to recent research at University of Michigan it has determined that cinnamon can help burn fat cells thus, fight against obesity(4).
Cinnamon leaf oil also contains eugenol, a component that can alter our neurosensory perceptions and change how we taste and smell food 2.
This helps prevent cravings and curb over-eating.
How To Use Cinnamon Essential Oil For Weight Loss:
- The cinnamon oil is safe to take internally.
- It is highly recommended to buy therapeutic-grade cinnamon essential oil.
- This oil should be 100% pure and free from toxins and additives and is unfiltered and undiluted.
- To support fat loss, add 1-2 drops of cinnamon oil in a teacup of warm water with a touch of honey (raw honey is best).
Doing this every day will help reduce cravings.
It is best to use it before meals or when you get a late night food craving.
You can also add cinnamon oil to your baking, oats or smoothies.
- When a sudden craving hits, or to prevent overeating before a meal takes a few deep breaths of cinnamon oil straight out of the bottle.
- Doing this can also potentially make you feel more full and improve your mood. Excellent for emotional eaters too.
- Being potent oil, combine 1-2 drops of cinnamon oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil, coconut oil or tamanu oil and rub it on your wrists and chest.
Use it with Diffuser
- Add a few drops of cinnamon oil to your diffuser. This not only makes the house smell great but will help boost your mood and rein in those midnight snack attacks.
3. Bergamot Essential Oil
Anxiety, depression, and feeling low are often the major contributors when it comes to emotional eating.
Emotional eating leads to overeating which in turn results in excess weight.
In the short term succumbing to your cravings may help brighten your mood.
But in the long run, it only leads to feelings of guilt and low self-esteem, especially when your weight seems to become a thing of embarrassment to you.
The sweet citrus smell of bergamot oil can make you feel relax and can suppress cravings and reduce emotional eating.
Having large concentrations of limonene bergamot oil can help to burn fat.
D-limonene acts as a mild appetite suppressant and prevents weight gain, according to University Health News,
How To Use Bergamot Essential Oils For Weight Loss:
- Inhale the oil deeply directly from the bottle or from a cotton ball soaked in a few drops of the oil.
- The citrusy scent of limonene can help suppress your appetite, reduce how much you eat and in turn help you lose weight.
Add it to your Bath Water:
- Put a few drops of bergamot oil in your shower and cover the drain. Inhale deeply to get the full medicinal benefits.
- Add 2 drops of lemon oil to a glass of water 2–3 times daily to support your metabolism and promote weight loss.
Bergamot is one of the best essential oils for weight loss because it makes you feel good mentally, which definitely affects your physical health!
4. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Many of us are stressed out and overwhelmed with so many daily demands that having just a moment of peace and harmony would really help improve our lives.
The Good News:
Sandalwood essential oil can help you achieve more clarity and calmness due to its extensive therapeutic benefits.
This essential oil can also have a positive effect on your well-being and mental health, along with many other surprising healing properties.
Sandalwood has a wonderful woody scent and has a natural therapeutic effect on the limbic system of the brain. (the area of the brain that controls primal emotions like pleasure and anger and drives power, hunger and more).
If your emotion is balanced, you’ll stop eating too many calories and better help support your weight loss goals.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Recipes for Weight Loss:
You can Apply topically:
Having a hard day at work?
- When you feel the urge to run to the vending machine, rub a couple of drops of sandalwood oil directly on the wrists and ankles.
- This will curb cravings and get through a stressful day.
- Inhale the oil directly from the bottle or from a cotton ball soaked in a few drops of the oil.
- The earthy scent of sandalwood can bring instant relaxation and take your mind off food.
- Put 2- 3 drops of sandalwood oil to your diffuser.
Also note that Sandalwood oil is generally not applied directly to the skin, but is usually mixed with a carrier oil or lotion first to dilute it
Common carrier oils include almond oil, jojoba oil, or grapeseed oil.
5. Ginger Essential Oil for Weight Loss
Ginger is an excellent anti-inflammatory. This is an important part of weight loss because it reduces inflammation which leads to better absorption and digestion of nutrients.
Inflammation is perfectly normal in the body and an effective response that promotes healing
However, when the immune system overreaches and begins attacking healthy body tissues.
We’re met with inflammation in healthy areas of the body, which lead to bloating, swelling, pain, and discomfort.
But when abnormal inflammation which is the root of most diseases occurs. It can cause leaky gut syndrome, arthritis as well as celiac and irritable bowel disease.
It’s very essential to consume anti-inflammatory foods and plants in order to have a healthy immune system.
Ginger essential oil contains a component called Zingibain, is responsible for the oil’s anti-inflammatory properties.
Ginger also contains a compound called gingerols.
This gingerol according to a recent research, decreases inflammation in the intestines, which helps in improving overall absorption of vital nutrients and potentially preventing diseases.
Thus, If you’re trying to lose weight naturally,
ginger oil will help you absorb the vitamins and minerals you need to boost cellular function and energy and support your weight loss goals.
Ginger is also an excellent cortisol suppressant.
Cortisol is a stress hormone released by the body to help manage stress.
Having a high cortisol level due to a stressful lifestyle and hormonal imbalances can spike blood cortisol levels. Throwing the body’s natural metabolism into a total wreck (3)
Thus, leading to fat accumulation in the body.
Ways To Use Ginger Oil For Weight Loss:
According to the FDA ginger oil is safe to take internally but it is best to use therapeutic-grade ginger oil that is safe for internal use.
- You can add 1-2 drops of ginger oil to a glass of warm water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some raw honey.
- Inhaling the spicy aroma of ginger oil straight from the bottle is a great pick-me-up and can reduce appetite and cravings.
Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their doctors before taking ginger essential oil
6. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil is one of the best essential oils for weight loss.
This oil has been used to treat indigestion and especially when combined with caraway oil has shown to relax stomach muscles and decrease bloating.
Take a few whiffs of peppermint on long road trips, in school or any other time you need to “burn the midnight oil” as an alternative to energy drinks.
Anyone with chronic fatigue syndrome should take peppermint oil may improve focus and concentration.
How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil For Weight Loss:
- Add 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil in a glass of water and take it before meals to serve as an appetite suppressant.
- Take a long sniff of peppermint oil directly from the bottle. Or a cotton ball soaked in a few drops of the oil to suppress your appetite and trigger a sense of feeling full.
(Always do this before each meal to stand a good chance of decreasing your appetite and prevent overeating)
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to your diffuser.
- The minty oil scent will lift your mood and suppress cravings. The powerful scent is also great to get you more energized and motivated for a workout.
7. Lemon Essential Oils
Has anyone told you yet that lemon essential oil can burn body fat fast?
Lemon which is similar to grapefruit oil is one of the best essential oils for weight loss.
Extracted from the lemon peel which contains a medicinal compound, limonene a natural fat dissolver.
This limonene also helps to boost your mood by increasing the levels of norepinephrine in your brain, according to a recent research(4).
Lemon oil also helps to detoxify and eliminate toxins in the body that can get stored in the fat cells, prevent parasites in the intestines, and improve overall digestion.
It contains powerful antioxidants and helps in reduction of inflammation, boost energy levels and ease digestion.
This makes it effective essential oil for weight loss.
How To Use Lemon Essential Oil For Weight Loss:
- Mix 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil to a glass of water and have it in the morning to support digestion and detoxify.
- Take a whiff of lemon oil directly from the bottle. Or from a cotton ball soaked in a few drops of the oil to curb food cravings and stop you from overeating.
- Mix lemon oil with a carrier oil. Carrier oils such as coconut oil or moringa oil and massage into the areas that have cellulite build-up.
8. Lavender Essential Oil for Weight Loss
Different oils work in various ways to ensure weight loss.
Some help in preventing fat from accumulating, some aid indigestion.
While others help to suppress appetite and curb overeating. Feelings of anger, guilt, sadness, and anxiety can often trigger episodes of overeating.
Research suggests that lavender essential oil can help improve stress, anxiety and also suppress the triggers that cause emotional eating.
Lavender helps to lower cortisol levels, the stress hormone that makes your body hold-on to excess fat, making it harder for you to lose weight.
If you succumb to emotional eating every time you’re stressed out, lavender oil can help you curtailing it.
How to use lavender essential oil for weight loss:
- Pour 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil into your palms and bring them to your face like a cup or you can take a inhale directly from the bottle.
The scent enters the brain’s center for emotions and helps to relax growing feelings of anxiety and stress.
- To increase the effects of calm and relaxation that lavender oil brings, add 2-3 drops to your diffuser.
9. Fennel Essential Oil for Weight Loss
The fennel essential oil is extracted from fennel seeds that are steam distilled.
This oil is excellent for improving digestion, suppressing the appetite and regulating sleep cycles.
Fennel contains a hormone known as melatonin which is responsible for regulating circadian rhythms and triggering the brain’s wake and sleep patterns.
A recent study showed how melatonin can positively affect weight loss by enabling the body to create fat that can be burned, rather than fat that is stored.
Fennel essential oil is a powerful ingredient for good digestive health.
It’s a known fact that weight gain does not happen just because of bad food habits or lack of exercise.
When your sleeping patern improves, your brain function will improve and likewise energy levels and moods. Which goes together to support your weight loss goals.
How To Use Fennel Essential Oil For Weight Loss:
- Add 1-2 drops of fennel oil in a glass of water and drink it before meals to prevent overeating. This will also help to aid digestion.
- You can also dab a drop of fennel oil on each wrist whenever you have cravings for sweets.
Note: It has been suggested that anyone suffering from epilepsy should avoid using fennel essential oil.
Fennel essential oil may cause nausea and vomiting, so use with caution.
10. Frankincense Essential Oil for Weight Loss
Here is my favorite… Frankincense oil. What is yours?
This magic oil which was found in Somalia, Africa.
Frankincense is known for its wonderful ability for calming anxiousness and low moods that trigger the need to turn to food to feel relieved.
It is rich in a molecular structure called sesquiterpenes, which can cross the blood-brain barrier.
Frankincense oil helps to ease the negative effects of both anxiety and depression.
This oil enhances digestion by thus speeding up the rate at which bile and gastric juices are secreted.
This positively affects the metabolic rate and helps weight loss.
How To Use Frankincense Essential Oil For Weight Loss:
- Take in deep breaths of frankincense oil directly from the bottle.
- This will induce a feeling of calm and relaxation and keep you from emotional eating whenever you feel a hunger pang coming on.
- Add a few drops of frankincense oil to your essential oil diffuser and let the aroma fill the air in your room.
This can help to calm the mind and body after a long, tiring day, leading to less anxiety and stress which can mean fewer cravings.
But wait there’s more,
- How to Lose Weight from Stomach and Get Flat Belly Fast
- 30-Day Weight Loss Plan Lose 20 Pounds in 30 Days
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss (3 Detox Drink Recipes )
- 15 Metabolism Boosting Foods for Weight Loss & Flat Stomach
- 15 Fastest Ways to Lose Weight If You Weigh Over 250 Pounds or More
The Side Effects of Essential Oils
Essential oils are natural but also powerful you do not want to misuse them.
Some people have been recorded to develop an allergic reaction following a usage to some oil.
So it is pertinent to try a little sample skin patch test on your arm or thighs. But never face and neck to make sure you don’t have an adverse reaction to usage.
Where to buy essential oils for weight loss? Buy them here
However, the psychological and physiological factors of weight loss are too often ignored.
Anyone who has tried to lose weight knows how difficult the battle of the mind and body.
You will agree with me …
It is a battle between the brain chemistry, hormones, emotions, and environment.
We hope this article was helpful and has enlightened you in an entirely different way using essential oil for weight loss and maintaining a flat belly.
We look forward to you sharing your weight loss journey using essential oils with us. Do not forget to leave a comment below if you have any question about using essential oils for weight loss.