Are you experiencing muscle cramps or spasms in your leg at night or during or after the workout? There is nothing to worry about. Learn here home remedies to get rid of muscle cramps fast and immediately with these home remedies I listed below.
So, let me show you how
Almost everyone experiences a muscle cramp at some point and its occurrence in leg muscles and feet are particularly common.
Causes of Muscle Cramps
Persistent muscle contraction may occur as a protective mechanism following an injury, such as a broken bone.
In this situation, the contraction minimizes movement to stabilize the area of injury. Muscle injury alone may cause the muscle to contract.
True cramps occur as a result of the vigorous use of muscles and muscle fatigue usually in sports (1).
This is also a common cause of muscle cramps. You can prevent muscle cramps or spasms by drinking enough water before and after a workout.
How to Get Rid of Muscle Cramps Instantly
1. Appropriate Warmup and Exercise
Regular exercise and proper warmup is a solution on how to get rid of muscle cramps or spasms.
Before you engage in a sporting activity or exercise, always warm up with a combination of dynamic and static stretching.
These kinds of stretching will boost your exercise performance and lower the chances of developing a muscle cramp.
Besides, they prepare your body for high-intensity movements thus, preventing shock to the body system.
In addition, engaging in strength training exercise or yoga can help get rid of cramps. This training ensures that the muscles do not get fatigued quickly.
2. Stay Hydrated
If you don’t like drinking water you need to stop now, because you need adequate water in your system.
Like I’ve said before,
It is important that you stay well hydrated during the day before you work out, during the workout and after the workout.
Dehydration disrupts the balance of fluids in the body which plays a role in muscle cramps.
Drink adequate water during the day and use carbohydrate-based fluids for workouts.
We lose body fluids and electrolytes like sodium and potassium when we sweat.
You need these electrolytes to maintain fluid balance in your body. Staying hydrated is one of the ways on how to get rid of cramps.
3. Improve Your Range of Motion
Work on mobility to improve your range of motion is an effective way to get rid of muscle cramps.
This is particularly important for people that are working a desk job.
Ability to move freely or easily opens uptightness in the muscles thus, preventing it from cramps.
Below are easy mobility exercises on how to get rid of muscle cramps.
Pelvic Tilt for Muscle Cramps
Pelvic tilt is a core strength exercise that is essential for maintaining mobility.
- Start by lying down on the floor with your knees bent.
- Then slowly lift your pelvis up toward the ceiling as far as possible.
- Hold this position for about10 seconds, while keeping your stomach muscles engaged.
- Gradually lower yourself back down
- Repeat between 10-20 times.
Arm Raises to Stop Muscle Cramps
One of the best ways to maintain mobility in your arms and shoulders is through doing some arm raises.
- Stand or sit in a relaxed position with your arms falling naturally by your side.
- You can use light weights if you want to intensify the workout a little more.
- Then, slowly raise your arms out to the side, extending them fully.
- Ensure that our palms are facing outwards.
- Continue the movement until your arms are above your head.
- Hold your arms there for five deep breathes, or as long as you comfortably can.
- Lower your arms as slowly and gently as you raised them.
- Repeat the exercise 10-20 times.
4. Essential Oil for Muscle Cramps
Peppermint essential oil contains the active ingredient menthol, which acts as antispasmodic and analgesic that relieve pain, pressure, and tension.
Its cooling effect soothes and relieves fatigue and sore muscle cramps
It also helps to relieve stress and offering a minute of peace.
How to Get Rid of Muscle Cramps with Peppermint Essential Oil
- Mix 4-6 drops Peppermint essential oil with 1 tsp of a carrier oil(Jojoba, Coconut or Olive oil)
- Then massage through the affected areas for 7-20 minutes whenever you feel muscle cramps in the leg.
5. Massage the Muscle to Stop Muscle Cramps
Massaging the muscle during a cramp is a subtle method to use stop muscle cramps immediately(2).
That if a cramp occurs during a workout, stop immediately and try to relax.
This is to ensure that you do not worsen the situation.
For instance, if it is a leg cramp, follow the following procedures.
How to Stop Leg Cramps Immediately
- Put your foot on the bed or on a chair.
- Move your cramping leg down over your knee.
- Begin at the back of your ankle.
- End at the back of the knee.
- You will most likely find a spot that hurts a lot.
- Go over that spot a few times.
- Place some ice on it for about 15 minutes.
- Massage the whole area to ensure proper blood circulation.
After the massage, engage in light stretching.
- How to Get Rid of Period Cramps Fast
- 9 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite on Thighs, Legs and Bum Fast
Athletes who experience muscle cramps may experience them during exercise due to muscular fatigue or shortened muscle tightening and limited range of motion. And can get rid of cramps by apply those home remedies mentioned above.
Finally, you’ve learned different ways on how to get rid of muscle cramps naturally and fast.
Most of these tips are natural and come with fast results. Good luck and let me know by leaving me a comment below.