Do you share the confidence in essential oils for hair growth and treatment of scalp itching, acne, and other beauty related problems? Surprisingly, there are some people who feel that essential oil is unnecessary since our scalp has glands that produce sebum.
This sebum (oily secretion) keeps the skin hydrated and forms a protective layer on each strand of hair that waterproofs it.
But frequently washing and exposing the skin and hair to dust and wind strips it off their natural coat of oil, thereby causing the hair and scalp to get dry and itchy.
So, the best way to achieve healthy skin and lustrous hair is to make use of essential oils to stimulated hair growth and thickness.
Hence, listed below are some of the best 10 essential oils for hair growth and thickness. Choose the right one from this list of essential oils for hair growth makes your friends jealous of your gorgeous hair. Read on to learn more.
In This Article
- 1 10 Essential Oils for Hair Growth + How to Use Them
- 1.1 1. Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 1.2 2. Lavender Oil for Hair Growth
- 1.3 3. Horsetail Plant Oil
- 1.4 4. Peppermint Oil
- 1.5 5. Rosemary Oil for Hair Loss
- 1.6 6. Chamomile Essential Oil
- 1.7 7. Clary Sage Oil
- 1.8 Essential Oils for Hair Growth Recipe
- 1.9 8. Ylang-ylang oil
- 1.10 9. Patchouli Essential Oil
- 1.11 10. Tea Tree Oil
- 1.12 Where to Buy Essential Oils for Hair Growth?
10 Essential Oils for Hair Growth + How to Use Them
1. Cedarwood Essential Oil
You can get Cedar Essential oil from the wood of Cedrus atlantica tree. It has a warm and woody aroma, you can use it to treat hair loss and dandruff.
It is effective in reversing alopecia areata in an experimental study.
Cedarwood oil helps in balancing the oil secretion of the sebaceous gland. Hence, the dry and oily scalp holds the same benefit. The warm cedarwood oil helps to improve both blood circulation and stimulation of the hair follicles, leading to a vigorous hair growth.
- Add a few drops of cedarwood essential oil with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil in a clean container
- Gently massage it into your scalp and then leave for 10 minutes before washing it out with shampoo and conditioner.
2. Lavender Oil for Hair Growth
Lavender oil has a sweet smell. You can extract it from a flower called Lavandula angustifolia. You can use it for any type of hair, and it is mild and smooth.
When applied to the scalp, it helps to perform 3 main functions;
- Blood circulation
- Hair loss prevention, and
- Promote hair growth.
It also helps to heal minor injuries on the scalp caused by itching, mostly in children.
Lavender oil contains linalyl acetate, which helps increase hair growth. Also, it possesses properties that can help produce growth cells and reduces stress to speed up the process of hair growth. Antimicrobial and antibacterial are two other properties of lavender oil, and it helps to improve the health of human scalp.
- Get a clean container
- Then mix 5-6 of lavender oil with 3 tablespoons of carrier oil (e.g. olive oil or melted coconut oil),
- Apply to the scalp and gently massage it around the scalp.
- Leave for about 15 minutes, after which you are to wash it out with shampoo.
- You can do this several times within the week.
You can also leave it on overnight, so as to take optimum advantage of its healing and nourishing properties
3. Horsetail Plant Oil
This oil has silica as one of its components, and “silica” helps to improve hair growth and the ability to reduce dandruff.
A study shows that some oral tablets that contain essential oil, help improve hair growth in women with thinning hair.
It is also effective as a topical treatment, with evidence such as anecdotal and theory that suggests that “Horsetail plant oil” may help boost blood circulation to the scalp and at the same time have benefits as the oral tablet.
- Add a mixture of 2 drops of horsetail plant oil with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil in a clean container
- Gently Massage it into your scalp
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes before washing it out with shampoo.
4. Peppermint Oil
This helps promote hair growth during the growing phase. Peppermint essential oil can cause a cold and sometimes tingling feeling when it increases circulation to the areas being applied to.
According to research, peppermint oil increased the volume of follicle depth, follicles and total hair growth in mice.
- Add 2 drops of peppermint essential oil with your favorite carrier oil.
- Then apply it into your scalp.
- Leave on for about 5 minutes, and then wash out thoroughly with both shampoo and conditioner.
5. Rosemary Oil for Hair Loss
This oil is being extracted from the leaves of a culinary herb, called “Rosmarinus officinalis”. It has a strong minty and woody aroma.
Rosemary oil possesses an anti-dandruff action, but it is for people with oily hair. It helps clear clogged pores that result in acne and itchy scalp.
Rosemary oil is a good choice to make if your need is to improve your hair thickness and growth. This is because of its ability to improve cellular generation.
- Add a few drops of rosemary oil with any carrier oil of your choice, and gently massaged into your scalp.
- Leave on for over 10minutes and then wash out with shampoo.
- You can repeat this process several times a week.
6. Chamomile Essential Oil
This essential oil for hair growth is being extracted from different types of chamomile.
But the commonly used for hair care is the Roman Yellow color chamomile oil obtained from Anthemis nobilis.
This soothing oil has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Rubbing into the scalp can help relieve itchily or a scaly scalp caused by dermatitis, dandruff.
Chamomile oil also protects and conditions hair from damage caused by environmental pollutants.
- Blend a few drops of chamomile oil to 2 tablespoons of Jojoba oil and gently massage into the scalp.
- This allows a non-greasy protective coating which sticks to the scalp until intentionally washed off.
- To wash off, apply 10 drops of chamomile oil to a quart of water.
Note: You can also dip chamomile flowers in water instead. Use it to rinse after washing your hair leaving it with a mild smell of apple.
7. Clary Sage Oil
This one of the best essential oils for hair growth and thickness. You can get this oil from the salvia sclarea, and it has a good herbal aroma.
It possesses phytoestrogen content that contributes to hair growth as well.
This oil helps to prevent or reverse premature balding. When present on the scalp, this oil helps in the regulation of oil production and prevents dandruff.
Clary sage oil contains linalyl that are also in lavender oil, which makes them effective in increasing hair growth.
In addition to hair growth, this oil can improve hair strength, which prevents hair from breaking.
- You can mix 3 drops of clary sage oil with 1 tablespoon of any carrier oil of your choice.
- Then leave this mixture on depending on how frequent you wish to use it in a week.
- If used daily, wash out after 2 minutes.
- If once or twice per week, leave it on for about 10 minutes.
8. Ylang-ylang oil
You can get this essential oil for hair growth from the flowers of the Cananga odorata tree.
Ylang-ylang oil is best fitted for those with oily hair and skin, this oil is a good choice for those with dry scalps.
This is because it can stimulate sebum production. As hair becomes dry and brittle because of the lack of enough sebum and oil.
It also helps give hair a good texture and prevent breakage.
- With 5 drops of ylang-ylang oil mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm oil.
- Massage it into your scalp carefully so it reaches every part of the scalp
- Then wrap your head with a warm towel.
- This should last for 30minutes before being washed off.
9. Patchouli Essential Oil
This is another essential oil for hair growth, from the flowers and leaves of Pogostemon cablin, from a species of plant from the “Lamiaceae” family, a plant related to mint.
Patchouli oil has a strong and musky smell which at first can be overpowering if used in large quantity but gets bearable as time goes on.
Patchouli leaves are for skin and hair care in some Asian countries. It is excellent for the treatment of many skin and scalp problems.
This is so because of its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
Patchouli oil is greatly beneficial to people with eczema, dandruff, and dermatitis because these listed problems are often the underlying causes of hair loss.
- In a clean container, mix 3 drops of patchouli oil with 6 drops of rosemary oil in 2 tablespoons of argan oil.
- Then apply the mixture into the scalp with your palm and leave it on for 2-3 hours.
- Rise with shampoo, and if you will mask the smell of patchouli, you can rinse with either lemon or lavender oil.
10. Tea Tree Oil
You can get tea tree oil from the tree Melaleuca alternifolia, in Australian. It helps to treat virtually all skin and hair problem.
This oil possesses powerful cleansing, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. When applied topically, it can help to regrow hair by unplugging hair follicles.
A study showed that mixing Tea tree oil with Minoxidil gave an effect that was more productive than using just the minoxidil in improving hair growth.
- Blend 10 drops of tea tree oil with your conditioner or shampoo and use daily.
- Alternatively, mix 3 drops with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil and allow it for 15 minutes before washing it out.
- Avoid the use of essential oil for hair growth directly to the skin!
- Since essential oils are strong in nature, you can mix with a suitable carrier oil, such as coconut oil or jojoba.
- To avoid the risk of irritation, then try the mixture on the skin in small quantity to be sure of it not being irritating to your skin.
Where to Buy Essential Oils for Hair Growth?
You can buy it on Amazon or at your nearest health food store.
Other Related Resources
- Essential Oils for Muscle Pain; 7 Best Oils Recipes That Work
- How to Get Rid of Cellulite: Fast Cellulite Treatment
- How to Get Rid of Skin Tags-10 Easy Natural Painless Ways
- 10 Essential Oils for Weight Loss + How to Use Them
Essential oils for hair growth and thickness can improve the health of your hair and scalp with little or no side effects.
They are very easy and straightforward to use.
By just blending any of these essential oils for hair growth with a carrier oil or shampoo and apply it to the affected area on a regular basis can increase hair growth and strength.
Additionally, you can use your essential oil diffuser to diffuse the oils at home to beat stress and aid hair growth.