Are you sick and tired of that those big calf muscles? So you want to lose calf fat, and gain skinny toned legs? I know the feeling.
Before I get into details on how you can lose calf fat, let’s talk about calf sizes.
Calf sizes vary in people, some can be big, and some can be small. We can also have people whose calves are neither big nor small. This post is not about people with small calves or the intermediate ones, but the large or extremely large ones.
Big calves are so embarrassing and can disfigure your body shape. So many people are wondering what causes big calves.
Well, large calf muscles have relatively different causes. A big calf muscle is not a big deal and you can lose calf fat if you want to.
Although to get slim legs don’t come easily. You have to go through the pain for some time to get what you want.
What Causes Big Calves
You can have fat calves through genetics (observe your siblings and parents). Large calf muscles that are genetically gotten can be tough to trim as it is inherited from your forebearers.
The good news is that through exercise or surgery, you will get the slim legs you have always wanted.
It is very advisable to try the exercise method first, which will not cost you a dime. If you realize it’s not working, then you can try the other option.
Genetics is considered a big factor for your calf size, meaning your calf size will be similar to those of your parents.
Another cause of big calves is fat. If your calf muscles are surrounded by fat, that is, if the two muscles in your legs are bombarded by fat tissue.
Like I mentioned earlier, you can lose calf fat by exercising. However, some exercises can make you get big calves.
Exercises like hill hiking, walking on your toes, and large use of the ball on your feet especially walking in high heels can enlarge your calves.
Now that some of the causes of big calves have been known. It is time to show you some effective exercises for calf fat.
These set of exercises will be given with guidelines to ensure you lose calf fat in 1 week.
8 Best Legs Exercises to Lose Calf Fat in 1 Week
There are lots of exercises you can practice to lose calves fast. But only 8 exercises will be discussed in this article. Below are 8 good and easy exercises for you to get slim legs:
Explanations will be made in the sequential order above
1. Jump Rope Slim Calves
In this exercise, all you need is a rope for jumping or better called skipping rope, and the length of the rope should be in reference with your height.
How does the rope length match your height?
It’s very simple, all you have to do is measure it with your height, and in this case, it should be slightly below your shoulder. After that, you are ready to initiate the exercise.
How to do jump rope for calf
- Stand upright holding the two ends of the rope in your hands
- Rotate your hands and jump over the rope simultaneously
- Keep it going for the required time given
Make a count of the jumps you do. Start with 50 jumps and then keep practicing by increasing numbers from 50 to 100 and so on.
Furthermore, you can time yourself if you think you are not getting enough by counting your jumps. Whichever works for you, just don’t quit.
Additionally, it is an exercise you will enjoy practicing.
2. Ankle Circle to Lose Calf Fat
Ankle circle exercise helps to shape and slim your calves and it requires no equipment.
It is very easy and can be done anywhere and anytime. Ankle circle workout also gives the ankle region of the leg flexibility, and get rid of large calf muscles.
How to do ankle circle to slim calf
- Stand straight with your arms by your side
- Lift your right legs in the air, just about 2 to 3 inches high
- Begin to roll your ankles in a circular motion.
- Do this for about 2 minutes and repeat using your left leg
3. Standing Calf Raise
First of all, you need a means of balance, that is, something you can place your hands on for balance when practicing this exercise.
Standing calf raise will make you lose calf fat fast as it focuses on two muscles of the calf. You can use a dumbbell or not, but it is advisable you start without using a dumbbell.
How to do standing calf raise
- You can start by standing on the edge of a stair.
- Hold on to the banister to help with your balance
- Now stretch your heels to its breaking point
- Hold on for at least 5 seconds
- Repeat 14 more reps of this exercise
This exercise gives your shapeless calves the form you want. With nothing to lose and everything to gain, you won’t regret practicing this exercise. After mastering the basics of standing calf raise, you can step up your game by using dumbbells.
4. Pistol Squat to Reduce Calf Fat
This exercise does not only target the calves but the entire legs, and lose calf fat fast. It does not require any special equipment.
It is called a pistol squat because of the posture your body takes when doing the exercise.
How to do pistol squat for calves
- Stand upright on the floor
- Extend your right arm forward
- Lift your right leg in the air
- Lower your body to a squat position without placing the right leg on the floor
- Hold still for 5 seconds
- Switch legs and repeat exercise 9 to 12 times
As said earlier, the pistol squat targets the whole legs and add strength to the legs. Not only that, the goal you are aiming for is to trim your calf fat because it helps a lot in doing that.
5. Pilates for Calves
Pilate exercise is named after its creator, Joseph Pilate. This exercise ensures you muscular and strength balance in accordance with flexibility.
It is very efficient when it comes to losing calories generally in the body. Pilate exercise also helps to prevent and treat back pain.
How to do pilate exercise for calves
- Lie on the floor with your face looking towards the roof
- Bend your knees with your feet flat on the floor
- Place one of your hands on your rib and the other one on your abs
- Breath in deeply and fill your abs and your ribcage
- Keep your hips steady and raise your left leg off the ground towards the ceiling
- Like ankle circle, start moving your ankle in a circular motion
- Do this for 5 seconds and switch leg
- Repeat for 9 more times
The benefit of Pilate exercise is countless as it works on the whole body, from the abs to the leg in general. It is really useful in toning fat calves.
6. Step Up Exercise for Calves
The step-up exercise is beneficial to the glutes and lower legs.
If you want to know how to lose calf fat fast in 1 week, pay absolute attention because the step-up is one of the most efficient when it comes to losing calf fat.
To start a step up exercise, you will need a pair of dumbbell (of the same mass) and a box.
How to do step up exercises
- Stand straight with the pair of dumbbells in both hands
- Step your left leg on the box
- Make sure your arms are straight
- Step down your left leg from the box and step your right leg on the box simultaneously
- Increase the tempo of the exercise to the speed of your choice
- Rest for 60 seconds every 2 minutes interval on this exercise
- Do 10 to 12 reps each day for effectiveness
Step up targets all the muscle of the leg, this exercise strengthens the legs and gives it a good shape.
Make sure you do this exercise every day until your goal is reached.
Step up also increases your balance and adds more power to your legs (for athletes especially soccer players).
7. Balance Board for Calves
The balance board generally increases the strength in your legs and stabilizes your core muscles.
Furthermore, it helps relatively in body balance (especially for athletes).
All you need to kick off the exercise is a balance board.
Balance boards come in different types, but as beginners, you stick with the less challenging ones.
How to do balance board for slim calves
- Stand on the balance board
- Start to balance your weight on it.
- Do it for 10 to 15 minutes
Finding a balance is a very hard task to do on a balance board, ensure you don’t quite as it would only get you bored a little.
If you find the less challenging balance board, move on to a board that you won’t find an easy balance on.
8. Hip Raise to Lose Calf
Apart from that, it helps in the flexibility of the back and waist region.
How to do hip raise:
- Lay flat on the floor with your face up the ceiling
- Bend your knees at 90 degrees with your feet flat on the floor
- Raise your hips towards the ceiling without removing your arms and feet off the ground
- Maintain this pose for 10 seconds
- Repeat the exercise for 4 more times
Now that you know the exercises to lose calf fat in 2 weeks, it is time to face the kind of diet you take when practicing these exercises.
Actually, there is no special food for this, but there are some foods you need to avoid when practicing these exercises.
Food with high calories should be avoided in order to get the result you want.
Examples of such food are refined carbohydrates, cheese, white food, sugar in general and so on.
With the exercises listed, all you need is dedication and patience to lose calf fat and keep it off.
When you do them actively, day in day out, try and measure the size of your calves every day to check your progress.
Ensure you follow the reps given so as to get a result that exceeds your expectations.
Furthermore, take a sip of water after each rep. if you want to make it an early morning exercise, avoid eating before the exercise.
Also, these exercises are simple to perform; you can practice them on your own without the help of an instructor.
But Remember this:
Also, calf build-up can be painful at first, so it is advisable to slow things down at first.
Remember your goal and don’t give up!
If you like this post don’t forget to share. Thanks