Are you looking for easy yoga poses for kids? Then, you are on the right page. I compiled here the list of 6 basic yoga exercises and benefits that are safe and easy for your children at home.
Yoga practices have become popular in schools, gym, and studios and we do not see this stopping anytime soon.
One of the most interesting things to come out of the popularity of yoga is the accessibility for kids.
Again, this post is about the best yoga poses for kids that your children can do.
If you think it’s only adults that can benefit from the yoga exercise, then you should think again.
Kids have a lot to benefit from yoga-It opens up a lifelong practice that builds healthy minds, bodies, and spirits.
Teaching yoga to kids will make them explore their fun and creative side while also instilling the practice of a healthy lifestyle in your kids.
Before we dive into the easy yoga poses for kids, let us take a look at enormous benefits your kids can derive from yoga practices.
Yoga Practicing for Kids
Yoga is good for everyone. If your kids start out young, they have many years to enjoy the benefits that come with it. Who knows, they may become a yogi themselves!
It is definitely hard to be a kid in today’s world. With so many distractions, frustrations and peer pressure, kids have a lot to surmount.
However, Yoga can be an inexpensive, healthy tool that will help your children overcome these challenges and at the same help them build a healthy lifestyle.
That been said, here are the 6 yoga benefits for kids.
Focus and Concentration
One of the biggest benefits of yoga, even for adults, is that it helps you focus. Practicing yoga involves focusing on your breathing.
Kids who practice this often will soon become good at maintaining concentration.
Kids are known to be energetic. Some are even so all over the place, they tend to hurt themselves.
Practicing yoga will help them stay calm and better manage their energy.
Consistent practice will even help reduce erratic behaviors.
Body Balance and Coordination
Kids have not yet perfected the movement of their body as well as adults.
Yoga can help kids become more adept at controlling the movement of their body parts.
- Strengthens the Mind and Body Connection
Yoga is famous for helping to unite the body and mind, and your kids are not left out of this.
These poses help your kids to achieve a sound mind and connect with their sound body.
The poses work their physical body and calm their mental spirit.
Your kids will definitely find inner peace practicing these best yoga poses for kids.
Improves Physical Flexibility
All the body’s muscles are used when practicing yoga. Your kids will learn this at an early stage and it will help promote the physical strength.
Whatever the pose, your child will become aware of his body and how it functions at an early stage.
Build self-esteem and Confidence
When it comes to exercises that build confidence, yoga ranks up there. Yoga will provide the building block for the future and your kids will benefit from this.
When your kid masters a pose, it will give him or her self-esteem and confidence.
6 Easy Yoga Poses For Kids with Yoga Benefits
After going through numerous yoga poses, we have curated the 5 best yoga poses for kids that your children can perform.
This best yoga poses for kids are healthy and will help your kids reap all the benefits of yoga.
Listed below are the best yoga poses for kids and directions on how to perform each pose.
1. Butterfly Pose (Cobbler’s Pose)
This is one of easiest yoga exercises for kids. In fact, many kids love this because easy and make them feel relax and comfortable.
- Sit straight and bend your knees by bringing your feet as close as possible.
- Try to make your hands to make contact with your feet.
- Keep the back flat, chest open, exhale
- They slightly pull your torso forward. Deeply Inhale.
- Move thighs up and down slowly like a butterfly
- Maintain your breathing in a proper time gap from 1 to 5 minutes
- Repeat until you feel relax and comfortable.
2. The Basket Pose Yoga Pose for Kids
The Basket Pose is one of the best yoga poses for kids. Your kids should definitely try this out.
The pose is pretty straightforward and your kid should have no difficulty performing this pose.
Below is a guide on how to perform the Basket Pose.
- Begin by lying flat on your belly and place your hands by the side your body.
- Make sure your palms are also facing up.
- Now bend those knees and reach each your arm back, at the same time grab the outside of your ankles.
- Inhale and reach your heels upwards towards the sky.
- Make sure you lift your thighs and heart off the floor.
- Hold this position for a few breaths and look straight ahead as you inhale and exhale
- Gently release your body to the floor when you are ready.
3. Downward Facing Dog Pose
It is important for you to know that any yoga pose that has an animal name behind it is beautiful simply because it enables kids to relate to playful imagery.
The Downward Facing Dog is a classic that has been around for years.
Your kids will definitely find this interesting.
Follow the guide below to perform one of the best yoga poses for kids.
- Begin by making your body into an upside-down V shape.
- Make sure your hands are at a shoulder width apart and feet at hip-width apart.
- Encourage your kids to walk in this posture just like a “Walk the Dog” pose.
- Try as much as possible to keep the legs and arms straight.
4. The Tree Yoga Pose
The tree pose is a fantastic yoga routine that your kids should do. It has been around for decades and is a fun balancing pose.
Your kids will definitely love the challenge of balancing on one leg.
Follow the guide below to perform one of the best yoga poses for kids.
- Stand on a foot and bring your other foot at a rest on your standing leg just below or above the knee.
- Now extend your arms out just like a tree’s branch.
- Encourage your kids to try to move their arms slowly while maintaining their balance at the same time, just like the branches of a tree in the breeze.
5. Candlestick Yoga Pose
You might recognize the Candle as the Shoulder Stand in the adult yoga pose.
Kids enjoy this pose because it enables them to go upside down.
Be rest assured, it is a great and safe yoga pose. Follow the guide below to perform the Candle pose.
- Begin by lying on your back
- Then bring your hands to the small of your back.
- Now push your legs towards the sky.
- You can even make this more fun by moving your leg into the upside down tree position.
6. Half Moon Yoga Pose
The Half Moon is another great yoga pose that your kids can do. The pose is easy, yet challenging one.
It will help your kids with balance and concentration.
This is one pose you should encourage your child to try out.
Follow the guide below to perform the half moon.
- Begin by starting in the Mountain Pose.
- Your kid should bend forward and then place their right hand on the floor at a hand’s length away from and just slightly outside of the right foot.
- Then lift up the left leg just behind you and try to balance.
- Once you’ve found your balance, bring up your left arm as if reaching for the sky.
- Now inhale and look up at your hand.
- Open up your body and expand your chest.
- Then place everything back down on the floor and repeat the movement on the opposite side.
Other Related Resources:
- 12 Best Yoga Poses for Lower Back Pain That Work
- 15 Best Yoga Asanas for Beginners to Lose Weight Fast
- 10 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss and Flat Belly
Yoga poses for kids are awesome. They lay a solid foundation for your kids to enable them to concentrate and builds their confidence.
This best yoga poses for kids will allow your kids to reap the maximum benefit from the yoga routine.
Encourage your kids to try out new things and routines. They will definitely enjoy these poses.
Now it’s your turn. Which of the yoga poses for kids are going to start your kids with?
Leave a comment below. I’d love to know your thoughts.