Home Remedies to Get Rid of Eczema – Skin conditions such as eczema can be discomforting and can cause more damage to the skin. Therefore, it should be treated as soon as possible.
However, before we go into the details of the home remedies to get rid of eczema.
It is important we explain what eczema is and the causes of eczema for the benefits of those who do not have an idea of what it is.
What is Eczema
Eczema is a skin condition in which different patches of the skin becomes rough and inflamed.
In some cases, eczema can lead to blisters as a result of itching and this can lead to bleeding also.
Causes of Eczema
The main cause of eczema is yet to be discovered. It is said to occur as a result of environmental and genetic factors.
The environmental factors which can lead to eczema are:
Some certain type of food such as Eggs, Nuts seed, soy products, wheat, and dairy food.
- Hot and Cold Temperature
The extreme weather condition of hot and cold temperature can lead to eczema.
Also, perspiration from exercise can lead to eczema.
These are in the form of bacteria such as Fungi, Staphylococcus aureus, viruses.
- Hormonal Changes
Hormonal changes which occur in the body during pregnancy and menstrual cycle can lead to eczema.
Certain kind of soaps, detergents, shampoos, a disinfectant can lead to eczema.
Allergies such as pets, pollens, mold, and dandruff can also cause eczema.
Apart from environmental factors, genetic factors can lead to eczema.
This means eczema can be passed from a mother to a child which shows it is hereditary.
So, what are the symptoms of eczema? Eczema manifests in different ways in children and in an adult.
Symptoms of Eczema in Babies
- Rashes appear in cheeks and scalps
- It can lead to extreme itchiness and this might disturb sleep.
- Eczema can appear behind the creases of elbow/knees which can become bumpy overtime.
- For children, rashes are common on the neck, wrists, ankle, between the bottom and legs.
- It can become light or dark in color
- While in adults, here are the symptoms of rashes
- The rashes are commonly found in the elbows, knees, and neck.
- Rashes can cover a large area of the body.
- It can be easily seen on the neck, face and around the eyes.
- In a few times, rashes can become permanently itchy.
- It can become scaly which can lead to a skin infection.
Types of Eczema Rashes
Rashes can be in different types and below are the types of rashes
- Atopic Dermatitis
This type is chronic and inflammatory in nature. T
his type is mostly hereditary in nature. It develops in children who are under the ages of 5.
This result as a result of contact with irritants and allergies.
It makes the skin become itchy.
Eczema appears on the arms, legs and other parts of the body which is in contact with these allergies.
This can occur in teenagers and also in women. Eczema can appear as a result of poor blood circulation, blood clots in your legs and varicose veins.
Those who have had cellulitis as a result of being overweight can have this type of eczema.
This type of eczema is usually restricted to the hands and feet.
It can occur at any age but it is most common before the age of 40.
That being said, here are the home remedies to get rid of eczema.
12 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Eczema Fast and Permanently
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Eczema
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a well-known and well-used remedy for different health conditions. However, it must be used with caution and must be diluted before using it.
This is because the vinegar’s acid can damage the soft tissue of the skin.
According to the National Eczema Association report, Apple cider vinegar may help with eczema.
You can either use apple cider vinegar in wet wraps or in a bath.
- Cup 1warm water
- 1 teaspoon ACV
- Cotton fabric
- To use it in a wet wrap, mix 1 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of the vinegar.
- Apply it to cotton and cover it with a piece of clean cotton fabric.
- Leave it for 3 hours.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for a Bath Soak
- Get a bath of warm water.
- Add two cups of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Soak it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your body thoroughly.
- Moisturize within several minutes after bathing.
2. Use Aloe Vera Gel for Eczema Treatment
Aloe vera gel is an effective home remedy which can get rid of eczema forever. Aloe vera is gotten from the leaves of the aloe plant.
The antibacterial and antimicrobial components of aloe vera on the skin can help to soothe the skin from any infection. It also promotes healing.
Here are the steps to follow to use Aloe vera
- Get Aloe vera gel from a reputable store to get an original product, or order here online on Amazon
- Ensure you buy the one with few ingredients to prevent further skin irritation.
- Use a small amount of aloe vera gel on your skin to ensure your skin is not sensitive to it.
- Apply it gently on your skin.
However, Aloe vera is considered safe for use.
3. Use Olive Oil for Eczema
Olive oil is one of the best natural remedies for eczema. It can get rid of eczema on the face.
In fact, some skin care products include olive oil as part of their ingredient for eczema treatment cream.
Olive is generally safe for use. It contains omega 3 fatty acid which has anti-inflammatory properties.
How to Use Olive Oil for Eczema/Psoriasis
- Rub some warm olive oil into the affected area of the skin.
- This will help to soften the patches.
- You can also get rid of eczema psoriasis by rubbing it on your scalp and later shower to remove the dry skin.
Another way to utilize olive oil to get rid of eczema is by adding olive oil to your diet to get rid of eczema forever.
- Best Daily Skin Care Routine Steps for Glowing Skin
- Essential Oils to Tighten Skin-11 Best Essential Oils for Sagging Skin
- 10 Essential Oils for Skin Care Recipes (Get Rid Acne and Tightening Skin)
4. Colloidal Oatmeal for Eczema
Colloidal oatmeal is also known as Avena sativa. It is made from oats that have been boiled and blended to get the extract from it.
The antioxidant properties can help to get rid of scaling, roughness, itch intensity, skin dryness.
Follow the steps below to use Colloidal Oatmeal
- Add the powered colloidal oatmeal to a warm bath and soak your body inside it for some minutes.
- Ensure you buy the colloidal oatmeal that contains oat as the only ingredient.
- This will prevent any unwanted additives or fragrances.
It is safe for all ages but if you are allergic to oat, you should avoid it.
5. Use Coconut Oil
This is an effective home remedy which can help cure eczema fast.
Coconut oil contains healthy fatty acids which can add moisture to your skin and get rid of dry skin.
Coconut oil can protect your skin from inflammation and it also improves your general health.
How to use coconut oil for Eczema
- Apply freshly pressed coconut oil directly to your skin after bathing and several times during the day.
- You should also use it before going to bed to keep your skin moisturized.
You should avoid using coconut oil if you are allergic to it.
6. Lavender Essential Oil to Get Rid of Eczema
Eczema can be so discomforting due to the extreme itching.
Also, it can lead to anxiety, depression, frustrating and lack of quality sleep.
One of the ways one can treat an eczema infection is through the use of lavender essential oil.
In addition, lavender oil can reduce all the symptoms of eczema which can help to get rid of eczema.
7. Try Honey
Over the years, honey has been used to treat different skin conditions. Honey is a natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent.
A study revealed that honey can be used to get rid of eczema. This is made possible by the components in honey which boost your immune system.
This also helps to fight away infection.
Honey also helps to prevent the spread of infection and it moisturizes your skin which speeds up healing.
Here is how to Use Honey to Get Rid of Eczema
- Apply directly to your eczema spots.
- Use it in the morning before bathing and at night.
8. Tea Tree Oil for Eczema
Tea tree oil is a gotten from the leaves of Melaleuca Alternifolia tree.
Due to the presence of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, this oil can be used to relieve skin dryness, itchiness and to also prevent infection.
How to use Tea Tree oil to Get Rid of Eczema
- Purchase tea tree oil.
- Dilute this oil with essential oil before using it on your skin.
- Or mix it with a carrier oil.
- Rub it on the affected area in the morning before bathing and at night.
9. Carefully take Your Bath
As a result of eczema, the skin becomes dry and it needs extra moisture.
This is mainly because of the extra moisture because the outer layer is not functioning as well as it should.
You should avoid the following during and after bathing:
- Avoid using the wrong soap.
- Not moisturizing your body after bathing.
- Using too hot or too cold water to bath.
Ensure you do the following to get rid of eczema
You should bath or shower at least once a day.
- Use lukewarm water.
- Bath for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Avoid scrubbing your skin.
- Use gentle cleansers in place of soap.
Use moisturizers to avoid the spread of eczema flares.
10. Add Turmeric to Your Diet
Turmeric is a medicinal spice which helps to reduce inflammation in different skin conditions.
A substance or component which is called curcumin is found in turmeric.
It acts as an antioxidant to protect the skin from further infection and to speed up the healing process.
Ensure you consume at least one teaspoon of turmeric or drink turmeric tea every day.
11. Take Flaxseed to Get Rid of Eczema
Flaxseeds are known to be rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
This seeds also help to block a chemical in your body called arachidonic acid which is responsible for inflammation in the body.
How to Use Flaxseed
- Add a few tablespoons of flaxseed to your oatmeal, salads, smoothies, and granola.
- You can also use flaxseed oil as a dressing for salads and veggies.
12. Avoid Strong Heat Sources
Ensure you avoid sitting next to a fireplace or a furnace. This is because it can worsen the symptoms of eczema.
The hot, dry air can dehydrate your skin and increase itchiness.
During the winter period, use a humidifier and avoid going near a heater and fireplaces.
Find the humidifier in health stores or online here.
Best Eczema Creams
What is the best cream for eczema?
Well, here the list of the best eczema treatment creams we love:
- Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm
- Eucerin Eczema Relief Cream
- Anti-Itch Cream & Rash Treatment Cream for Eczema, Psoriasis.
- Manuka Honey for Rosacea, Eczema, and Psoriasis Rashes
- Puriya Cream for Eczema, Psoriasis, Dermatitis, and Rashes.
Untreated eczema may make people more prone to heart disease and stroke.
Also, eczema is quite common amongst children and this can lead to feeling isolated and feeling withdrawn from his or her peer group.
Lack of treatment can also lead to lack of sleep in children and adults which is not beneficial to one’s health.
Therefore, we advise you use any of these home remedies to get rid of eczema and you should also see your dermatologist if there is no evidence of progress.
This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclaimer.