If you are having a hard time to get rid of lice, I’m glad to let you know that are several natural home remedies on how to get rid of lice and kill lice permanently.
So there is nothing to worry about… Look:
The condition of lice in your head is one of the common problems in humans and animals. They are tiny parasitic insects which easily spread from one person to another or through sharing items such as clothing and hair combs.
They do not fly or hop but can run very fast and are very troublesome.
Lice prefer warm and dark environment; most especially the area behind your ears or above the neck, eyebrows, eyelashes and in the hair.
Lice live by sucking the blood of humans or animals and multiply rapidly by laying about 200-300 nits.
These nits are oval and yellow to white in color located near the hair roots which hatch for about 7 to 12 days.
Lice can live for 30 days and survive for 48 hours without blood.
Types of Lice
There are three forms of lice; which starts from the Nit, then to the Nymph and finally the Adult.
Nit: These are lice eggs and are very invisible, sometimes often mistaken for dandruff. They attach themselves firmly to the hair shaft and take about a week to hatch.
Nymph: The nits hatch into nymphs looking like the head of an adult louse, although smaller. They eventually mature into adults about a week after hatching and start feeding on blood for survival.
Adult: They are about the size of sesame seeds and darker in color. The female is usually larger than the male, both with six legs and can live up to 30 days on a person’s head.
There are a few different kinds of lice:
Head lice: This type of lice develops on the neck and scalp.
The lice join their eggs to the base of the hair shafts and found at the nape of the neck and over the ears.
Body lice: They live in clothing and on bedding and move onto your skin to feed.
This is common to people who aren’t able to bathe or do not wash their clothes regularly.
Pubic lice: This type of lice occurs on the hair and skin of the pubic area. Mostly on coarse body hair like that of the eyebrows, chest or eyelashes.
Are you worried about how to get rid of lice?
Here is the time to be less worried because this article will give you the best 10 ways on how to get rid of lice.
Although there are many tips on how to get rid of lice that may have a lot of side effects, but these are natural ways to get rid of lice in the hair
Before we talk about these home remedies for lice,
Let’s get to know the cause of lice, symptoms and lice treatment.
What Causes of Lice
The fact is that lice are contagious despite that most people think it is as a result of unhealthy living and poor hygiene.
Touching heads with an infected person will attract lice.
This happens mostly among children. You can transfer them by sharing combs, brushes, headbands, and hats etc. and they can live in fabrics e.g. towels, beddings, and clothing.
Note that if a female lice finds its way over your head, it starts laying nits.
Other causes of lice include:
- Direct contact with furniture which has lice,
- Drop your clothes in the same place as those of the person with the lice, also
- When you do not regularly wash your clothes and wash your body.
Symptoms of Lice
There are major symptoms of lice to be on the lookout for and these symptoms of head lice usually disappear after a few days of treatment. These symptoms include:
- Severe itching in the scalp, neck, and ears
- A tickling feeling of something crawling on your hair.
- Seeing lice on your scalp, body, body hair or clothing.
- Finding lice eggs, known as “nits,” on or near hair shafts.
- Red rashes on the scalp, neck, and shoulders.
- Irritability to sleep at night (this is because head lice are very active in the dark).
- Feeling scalp pain and having sores on the lice-infested area caused by scratching.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), it is best to look out for lice on your hair as this will help to determine if you have head lice or not(1).
They are very fast and usually avoid the light.
So applying shampoo or wetting your hair will help slow them down, thus they become very visible and easy to get rid of.
How to Check Yourself for Lice
The most useful tool for checking the presence of lice in your hair is the small-tooth comb.
This will help to remove lice and their nits.
Although a lot of people confuse lice eggs and nits for dandruff, there is a clear difference between them.
While you can brush dandruff out of your hair, it will be ineffective brushing lice out of your hair.
As I have said earlier that…
The most useful tool you can use to get lice and its nits out of your hair is the small-tooth comb.
You may experience other symptoms not mentioned. Once you notice that, please consult your doctor.
How to Get Rid of Lice Naturally and Fast in Less than One Day (10 Best Ways)
Now let’s talk about how to get rid of lice naturally, there are several remedies but here are 10 best ways on how to get rid of them:
1. The Use of Vinegar
One of the most effective methods to get rid of lice in the hair is with vinegar. The acetic acid present in vinegar is toxic for the lice living on your scalp. It also helps in dissolving the dead lice eggs from the hair.
- Mineral oil and Shampoo
How to Get Rid of Lice With Vinegar
- Mix equal amount of vinegar and mineral oil.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and comb through your hair thoroughly before bed.
- Use a shower cap to cover your head and hair and leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with shampoo the next morning.
- You can mix the vinegar with water at an equal ratio and apply to rinse your freshly shampooed hair.
- Then leave it for 10 minutes, before washing your hair with fresh water.
- You can repeat the treatment two to three times a week for two months for maximum effect.
Remember to comb your hair thoroughly after using these home remedies.
2. The Use of Vaseline
Vaseline is a petroleum jelly and is an effective home remedy to get rid of lice.
There is no need for any special home remedies for lice treatment.
Rather, it suffocates them to death. The Vaseline gets stuck into their breathing tubes such that they cannot breathe, and they die.
- Water, and
How to Use Get Rid of Lice With Vaseline
- Apply some Vaseline thoroughly into your scalp and hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave on overnight.
- Wash your hair the next morning with water and shampoo.
Note that Vaseline is thick and sticky, so ensure to rinse your hair several times to remove it completely.
3. Use of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil for lice which is a healthy cooking oil in every household is an excellent hair smothering and conditioning agent.
The Coconut oil is a natural remedy to get rid of lice in the hair by suffocating the lice and eventually kill them.
- Coconut oil,
- Water and Shampoo
How to Use Coconut Oil to Kill Lice
- Add a little camphor to hot coconut oil.
- Apply this oil to your scalp and hair thoroughly and massage it well.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with shampoo the next morning and comb well.
4. Try Mayonnaise
This is another popular home remedy for lice treatment.
Mayonnaise easily suffocate lice and eventually kill them. This is one of the home remedies to get rid of lice in 60 minutes
- Water and Shampoo
How to Get Rid of Lice With Mayonnaise
- Apply mayonnaise to coat your scalp and hair.
- Use a shower cap or wrap a towel around your head.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with a regular shampoo the next morning.
- Dry your hair using an air hair dryer to ensure the lice are dead and comb thoroughly.
5. Use Onions
Another great remedy on how to get rid of lice at home is the use of onions. The sulfur content in onion has a pungent smell that suffocates the lice and kills it.
- Water and Shampoo
How to Use Onions to Get Rid of Lice
- Blend onions to make a smooth paste.
- Sieve this paste to extract the juice out of it.
- Massage your scalp and hair with the extracted juice and use a shower cap to cover your head for about two hours.
- Wash your hair with shampoo, let it dry and then comb to remove the dead lice you’re your head.
6. Alcohol for Head Lice
The use of alcohol on how to get rid of lice helps to prevent lice from sucking the blood.
Rubbing the alcohol on your scalp is another way to get rid of lice.
It can dissolve the gummy texture which helps lice nits to stick to the hair shaft. This disinfectant solution is an easy process and is effective when it comes to treating the lice problem.
- Water, and
How to Get Rid of Lice With Alcohol
- Rub alcohol on your scalp and thoroughly massage it.
- Apply some conditioner and leave it on for some time.
- Comb thoroughly to get off the dead nits.
- Wash with shampoo and then use the hairdryer.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil is another great home remedy to get rid of lice naturally. They are medicinal and safe to use.
- Tea tree oil,
- Olive oil,
- Water and Shampoo
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Lice
- Add 3-5 drops of tea tree oil to every one bit of shampoo
- Mix the shampoo and tea tree oil and apply to your hair.
- Wash your hair and then dry your hair.
- Comb thoroughly to remove the lice.
Note that the remedies for tea tree on how to get rid of lice must be in use for at least two months to get rid of the lice completely.
8. The Use of Lemon Juice
You can also use lemon juice to get rid of lice and nits from the scalp.
It is acidic in nature and equally effective in preventing an infestation.
- Lemon juice
- Water, and Shampoo
How to Get Rid of Head Lice with Lemon Juice
- Mash some garlic to make a paste.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to this paste and mix it thoroughly.
- Massage it onto the scalp and hair and cover it with a towel for about thirty minutes.
- Wash with shampoo and then comb to remove lice.
9. Garlic for Lice
The intense smell of garlic can suffocate lice, killing them completely.
Ensure that you repeat this lice treatment weekly for one or two months.
- Lime juice,
- Water, and Shampoo
How to Use Garlic for Lice Treatment
- Mash 8 to 10 garlic cloves into a paste
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lime juice and mix
- Apply the mixture thoroughly onto your scalp
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes
- Wash your hair with shampoo
10. Baking Soda for Lice Treatment
You can use baking soda as one of the home remedies on how to get rid of lice.
Baking soda can help reduce scalp itchiness. And if mixed with the conditioner, it kills lice completely.
- Baking soda,
- Water and Shampoo
How to Get Rid of Lice With Baking Soda
- Mix baking soda with the conditioner
- Apply this mixture thoroughly on your scalp and hair
- Comb through your hair thoroughly to get rid of dead lice
- Rinse your hair with shampoo
One more thing …
Despite following these home remedies on how to get rid of lice, it is equally important to note that your hygiene is a major necessity.
- Ensure you maintain a very good hygiene,
- Do not share comb or hairbrush, and wash your clothes, and
- Ensure that you disinfectant all your beddings with warm water, thoroughly clean all the furniture and floor.
Follow these effective home remedies and then see how you get free from lice infestation in one day. Do you know any other methods of getting rid of lice at home?
Please, share in the comment box below so that others can also benefit from and you can leave your question there too.