Not being able to fit into your favorite jeans, tops, shirts, dresses or even that yoga pant of yours is not the only problem you can have when it comes to belly fat.
Having excess belly fat can also result in or trigger a number of health problems like diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, and others.
There are a couple of reasons why you could find yourself struggling with excess belly fat.
Causes of Belly Fat
Consuming foods, drinks, and beverages with lots of sugar, drinking too much alcohol and eating lots of carbs are not the only causes of belly fat.
Sometimes it could be your hormones, being stressed out and even your age can be contributing factors that lead to belly fat.
How to Lose Belly Fat
Fear not though, if you are wondering how to lose belly fat naturally, then we’ve got you covered.
If you are tired of fasting, eating only veggies, and drinking green smoothies without any change we can tell you that there is still hope.
Apart from maintaining a healthy diet, the next best way to deal with belly fat is to engage in belly fat burning exercises.
The types of exercises that target the muscles in and around your belly.
Now that we’ve mentioned exercise, you might be wondering, “what is the best belly fat burning exercises?” “How do I know which exercises to do and how do I do them?”
We know that there are lots of exercise articles available online. They will tell you different types of exercises to reduce belly fat with all these information; it can get a bit overwhelming.
Because we want to make things easier for you, we have compiled a list of 10 of the best belly fat burning exercises that you can do to get rid of belly fat.
Without further ado here are our top ten best belly fat burning exercises.
10 Best Belly Fat Burning Exercises for Flat Stomach at Home
What You will Need for these belly Fat Burning Workouts are:
The crunch exercise is a variation of the popular sit-up exercises.
Because the crunches mainly target the muscles in your belly area, it makes it top on our list of the best belly fat burning exercises.
To do the Crunch exercise:
- Lie on your back keeping your knees bent, your feet flat on the floor and your hand behind your head.
- This will be your starting position.
- Lift your head, neck, and shoulders up and off the floor keeping your lower back on the floor.
- This will count as one rep.
- Try to do 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps.
Planks Belly Fat Exercise
The plank exercise is one that works and strengthens your core by targeting your innermost abdominal muscle.
While this exercise mainly works out your core, it also helps to improve your posture and reduce lower back pain.
So, if you are one of those that constantly battle with back pains from sitting for long hours.
Those who are struggling with a bad body posture, the planks have got your back, literally.
To perform the Plank Exercise,
- Start on all fours with your forearms resting on the ground beneath your shoulders.
- Stretch your legs back with your feet together.
- Make sure you are looking down so that your head and body are in a straight line (like a plank of wood).
Note -There is no movement with the plank exercise and this workout entails you holding the above position for 10 – 15 seconds.
You can hold the position for more time if you are able to. As you gradually increase the time you hold the position be sure to pace yourself and rest between each hold.
Vacuum Stomach Exercise
The vacuum as the name implies is based on the concept of your regular vacuum cleaner which sucks in air.
The vacuum exercise basically requires you to contract your stomach by sucking in air.
To do the Vacuum Stomach Exercise:
- Stand with your hands on your hips, and your feet spaced shoulder-width apart.
- This would be your starting position.
- While in this position inhale as air as deeply as you can.
- When you have reached your inhale limit, exhale.
- As you exhale, keep your stomach tight and tucked in.
- Hold this position for 15 to 20 seconds while trying to breathe normally.
- Release the hold on your stomach and then inhale and start again.
Note! You don’t have to stand to do this exercise. You can also do the vacuum while in position on all fours with your hands spaced shoulder-width apart, palms flat on the floor and your knees and feet placed together. Do the vacuum exercise while sitting at your desk in the office, during your commute or anywhere else for that matter
For the best results, you should always try to do the stomach vacuum on an empty stomach.
Another things to note though is that people who have been diagnosed with a hernia should not attempt this exercise.
You May Also Like This: 11 Best Flat Stomach Exercises to Lose Belly Fat in a Week at Home
Lunges Belly Fat Exercise
Lunges are another very effective addition to our list of the best belly fat burning exercises.
When you are performing the lunge exercise, you are working out many muscles.
As you get consistent with doing lunges you will tone your lower body and your hips become more flexible.
This exercise will also burn belly fat! It’s a win-win exercise no matter how you look at it.
To do the Lunge Exercises:
- You start by standing with your upper body straight, hold dumbbells in both hands.
- Keep your chin up so your back and neck remain in a straight line.
- Move forward with one foot and lower your hips till both your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Make sure the knee that is bent facing downward does not touch the floor.
- Push yourself back up to the starting position.
- This completes one rep. Repeat with the other leg.
- Do 10 to 15 reps with each leg.
You May Also Like This: 7 Best Full Body Workout Routines (Lose Weight and Get Flat Belly)
Mountain Climber Exercise
Mountain climber exercise targets your full body from your arms to your chest, shoulders, and thighs.
That’s not all, this exercise also works your hips and most importantly your core muscles.
This exercise is effective for fat reduction because it gets your heart rate.
To do the Mountain Climber:
- Start by lying face down on the floor.
- Push yourself up into a plank position with your hands flat on the floor and your hand straightened.
- Keep your feet stretched and spaced hip-width apart.
- Raise your right knee up toward your chest, return your right knee to its start position and then repeat the move with your left knee.
- The continued repeat of this should resemble the act of climbing.
- Do this for 15 to 20 seconds and then gradually increase your “climb” time.
The bicycle exercise
The bicycle exercise or bicycle crunch is another highly recommended addition to our list of top ten best belly fat burning exercises.
This exercise works your lower and upper abs muscles so consistently adding bicycle exercises to your exercise routine will give you’re that sculpted six pack of your dreams.
To perform the Bicycles Exercise:
- Start by lying on your back with your hands behind your head.
- Lift up your legs and bend them at the knees.
- Lift your right knee to your left elbow while keeping your left leg straight.
- Return your right knee and left elbow to the starting position and lift your left leg to your right elbow.
- This completes one rep.
- If you are doing this exercise right, it should look like you are riding a bicycle (hence the name of the exercise).
- Repeat 3 sets of 20 reps.
V Sit-Ups for Abs
The v sit-ups as the name implies is a variation of the classic sit-up exercise.
The v sit-ups are a combination of leg lifts and crunches which work on your upper and lower abs muscles.
This exercise is an effective way to reduce stomach size but should be done with caution so that you do not injure your back while performing it.
To do the V Sit-Ups:
- Simply start by lying with your back on the floor with your arms stretched out above your head.
- Your legs too should be stretched out so your body is in a straight line.
- This is your starting position.
- Lift up your legs and arms so that your arms touch your shin.
- This should put your body in a v shape.
- Hold the v shape position for some seconds before slowly returning to the starting position on your back.
- This completes one repetition.
- Perform 3 sets of 10 – 15 reps.
Donkey Kickbacks Belly Fat Exercise
This exercise is mostly known to work your glutes and arms but is also great if you need to burn fat and strengthen your core muscles.
To do this Exercise:
- Start on all fours on your hands and knees.
- Balance on your toes keeping your knees slightly off the ground.
- Tighten your abs and then bring your right knee to your nose.
- Hold for a few seconds and then kick out your leg straight out behind you.
- Make sure that you keep your abs and core tight and your back straight.
- Repeat 8 to 10 times for the right knee and do then switch legs and repeat for the left.
Squats are another exercise popular for toning glutes and the quad muscles in your legs.
This exercise helps to build muscle strength. It is known to burn fat in your body as well as unwanted belly fat.
To Perform a Squat:
- Stand with your knees shoulder-width apart.
- This should be your starting position.
- Slowly bend your knees down until your knees are in a 90-degree position and it looks like you are squatting on a chair.
- Hold this “squat” position for a few seconds before slowly pushing yourself back up to the starting position.
- By jumping at the end of this squat as you return to the starting position, you will get more result out of this workout.
- You can do 3 sets of 10 – 15 repetitions.
Windshield Wiper for Belly Fat
The windshield wiper exercise is one that works your core muscles while also stabilizing your hips.
This is one of the best belly fat burning exercises and is effective at targeting and strengthening your abs.
To do the Windshield Wiper:
- Start by lying on your back.
- Keep your arms stretched out by your side with your hands flat on the floor.
- Lift your legs straight up keeping your knees bent at a 90-degree angle so it looks like you are sitting.
- Inhale and then slowly move your knees from your left side to your right side making them go as low as possible to each side.
- Exhale and begin again.
- If you are not sure if you are doing it right, just think about the motion of a windshield wiper and see if your legs are moving the same way.
- Repeat 8 to 10 reps.
So, there you have it.
Our list of the top ten best belly fat burning exercises. As with all exercises, be sure to pace yourself and be careful when attempting any.
To get the best results, you should combine these exercises with a healthy diet. Also maintain a healthy lifestyle by drinking lots of water, keeping your stress levels in check.
Whether you believe it or not rest and sleep are important if you want to see results.
No matter how effective they are, none of our best belly fat burning exercises will work without commitment.
Commit to both your diet and exercise routines and a resolve to look and feel better about yourself. Now it is your turn, which of the belly fat burning exercises will you like to do first?
Leave a comment below, I’d love to know your thoughts.