For something so tiny, gnats and fruit flies are a real pain in the ass. They are little tiny insects that buzz around in our kitchens. Gnats and fruit flies can be real problems for a long time.
They are even much worse in the summer and in the fall. The reason for this is simple – they crave ripe vegetables and fruits. This article will teach you ways through which you can get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
Gnats and fruit flies are usually drawn to overripe foods such as potatoes, bananas, and onions.
Also, they can be drawn to other products that are left unrefrigerated and left in the pantry or on the counter.
Though they prefer foods that are overripe, gnats and fruit flies will breed in anything that is moist.
Any moist food that possesses some fermenting material on it can attract them.
Examples of such may include garbage cans, cleaning rags, garbage disposals, and also drains.
In adding, gnats and fruit flies are also drawn to anything that contains vinegar or alcohol.
Researchers have discovered the reason these flies multiply so fast (1). Accordingly to them, a female fly can lay about 500 eggs in her short life cycle.
You will definitely agree that this is one of the major reasons they multiply very quickly.
At one time your kitchen looks just fine, the next minute gnats and fruit flies are running riot in it.
Luckily, we have just the perfect home remedies that’ll help you get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
However, before we proceed, it is important we discuss the causes of gnats and fruit flies in our kitchens.
What Causes Gnats and Fruit Flies?
Most of us just seem to see fruit flies and gnats showing up in our kitchens.
But we are in the dark on how and why they got there.
In addition to showing you how to get rid of gnats and fruit flies, we will also discuss the actual causes of gnats and fruit flies.
By so doing, you will be able to prevent them from infesting your kitchen in the first place.
Those fruits that are overripe, which are just on the cusp of being spoilt are the main reasons for fruit flies and gnats.
The female fruit flies always lay eggs in fruits such as this. This is even more predominant in outdoor markets where it is difficult to control pests.
Once these sorts of vegetables and fruits find their way into your home, then you’ve just opened your door ajar for them.
The eggs hatch quickly and by so doing, they start their life cycle. This causes any infestation to occur.
Where the Gnats Come From?
Gnats, on the other hand, can infest our homes in several ways.
They usually roll up into the walls of our house through the soil of potted plants that we buy from the gardening stores.
As we stated earlier, gnats can gain access to our homes in several ways.
Another way they can gain access is through drain pipes.
There are different types of gnats and some are drawn to slime and mold.
When they get into the drain pipes, they can eventually gain get into our homes through the drains in the bathtubs and sinks.
Also, you must always be aware of small cracks on the walls of your home.
Though these cracks might be difficult to spot, pests and bugs can use them to gain access to your home.
Now that you know the causes of gnats and fruit flies, it’s time to show you the home remedies to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
12 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Gnats and Fruit Flies at Home
Using chemicals around our kitchen and homes to get rid of gnats and fruit flies is not a safe method.
This is why natural home remedies to get rid of gnats and fruit flies has been embraced all over the world.
We have brought you the best 12 home remedies that you can use to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
Follow these remedies religiously and gnat’s infestation will be a thing of the past.
1. Red Wine to Get Rid of Gnats
Red wine can be used to trap fruit flies and gnats. This is simply because they love the smell.
Once they are attracted to the smell, the red wine will get them intoxicated.
- Begin by mixing about ½ a cup of the red wine with 1 ½ cups of clean water.
- Now pour this mixture into one little container.
- Wrap the container at the top as tight as you can with plastic.
- Punch some holes in the plastic.
- Place this container where you notice the most concentration of flies.
- The gnats and flies will be attracted to the smell.
- They will drown in the solution immediately they make contact.
- As soon as the jar fills with dead gnats and flies, throw away the contents.
- Thereafter, wash your container using a warm and soapy water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Gnats and Fruit Flies
Apple cider vinegar is a “miracle” ingredient that is effective for so many conditions.
It is also a very effective solution to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
Apple cider vinegar is arguably the most popular home remedy to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
The reason is simple – flies and gnats get attracted to the smell and they get trapped. It is always combined with liquid dish soap.
Yes, you heard right, you can get rid of gnats with down dish soap and apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Mason jar
- Pour the apple cider vinegar into a jar like a Mason jar.
- Pour in few drops of liquid dish soap and stir thoroughly.
- Cover the jar at the mouth using a plastic wrap.
- Make holes at the mouth with a toothpick or fork.
- The flies will enter the jar through these holes.
- Put the jar where there is a large concentration of fruit flies and gnats.
- Once the jar is filled with dead gnats and flies, pour way the contents, wash it, and then refill.
3. Lemongrass Essential Oil to Get Rid of Gnats and Fruit Flies
This is the first preventive method on our list to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
The strong smell of lemongrass essential oil can help to repel gnats and fruit flies.
However, you must be aware that this is simply a preventive measure, as it will not help you kill gnats and fruit flies once your home becomes infested.
You can also use lemongrass essential oil to repel ants and spiders.
How to Make Fruit Fly Spray
- Lemongrass essential oil
- 2 cups of hot water
- Spray bottle
- Get a spray bottle and pour two cups of hot water in it.
- Add in about 10-15 drops of the lemongrass essential oil.
- Spray this mixture around your kitchen, and any other places you’ve noticed the most flies.
- You can use it to get rid of gnats in yards.
4. Sugar, Pepper, and Milk
This is another effective homemade trap that can help get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
It is one of our favorites simply because of the ease through which it can be made.
You will need just pepper, milk, and sugar.
These are 3 ingredients you can find in many homes around the world.
Like all other traps on the list, gnats and fruit flies will be attracted to it and they’ll drown in the mixture.
How to Make Gnats and Fruit Flies Trap
- 2 cups of milk,
- 8 tbsp of raw sugar
- 4 tbsp of grounded pepper
- Take a saucepan and add in it two cups of milk, eight tablespoons of some raw sugar, and also a tablespoon of ground pepper.
- Place this mixture on low heat just for about ten minutes.
- Now pour the solution into one shallow dish and put it where there is a large concentration of gnats and flies.
- Immediately you notice this dish is filled with flies, pour away the contents, and wash.
- You can repeat this process for as long as you need it.
5. Overripe or Rotten Fruit
You will notice that traps dominate our list of home remedies to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
This is because they are easy to make and very effective.
Just like all other traps, you can also use overripe or rotten fruit to help get rid of fruit flies in plants and other areas of our homes.
This is definitely one of the most effective home remedies for fruit flies.
- Grab a glass jar and place at the bottom several pieces of rotting or overripe fruit.
- Place a plastic wrap at the mouth of the glass jar. Also, poke tiny holes in the plastic wrap.
- Put the jar anywhere you notice the most concentration of gnats and fruit flies.
- After some hours, check your jar and you’ll notice it is already full with flies.
- Now submerge the glass jar in one bucket of warm and soapy water just for ten minutes.
- This is to ensure that the flies are not able to fly again.
- Repeat the process as long as you need it.
6. Lemon-Scented Liquid Dish Soap
Are you looking for a way to get rid of fruit flies in plants?
Then the lemon-scented liquid dish soap is your best bet. The way this works is simple.
The lemony smell will attract the flies, and the soap kills them. It is a good way to get rid of gnats with dawn dish soap.
- Begin by mixing about two tablespoons of the lemon-scented dish soap with four cups of clean water.
- Grab a spray bottle and pour this mixture in it.
- Now spray this mixture on the plant. This will kill all gnats.
- Then mist the stem and the leaves of the plant by using clean water.
- This will help get clean the plant of the soapy solution.
7. Honey for Fruit flies and Gnats
Honey is another way through which you can get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
You can use honey to get rid of fruit flies in plants. It is one of the most effective home remedies for gnats.
The sweet smell of honey will attract the gnats.
They will become trapped once they touch the sticky texture.
- Bright-colored index card
- Grab a bright-colored index card and attach one toothpick to one side of the card.
- Now smear the card’s other side with just a thin layer of the honey.
- Place this card just into the soil of the infested plant in your house.
- Once you notice the card fills up with dead gnats and flies, throw it away.
- You can repeat as needed.
8. Bleach for Gnats and Fruit Flies Remedies
Bleach is also a very good alternative to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
However, you should be aware that it is only useful for gnats around the bathroom sink and the kitchen.
Bleach will not work if the gnats are already breeding deep within your drainage system.
- Begin by removing everything from your sink.
- Pour a cup of bleach in the sink.
- Ensure you put on a mouth and eye protection. You should also run very hot water.
- Leave this bleach there for some minutes and allow it to drain.
- You must be careful not to mix ammonia with bleach as it can be toxic.
9. Always Keep your Kitchen Clean
The state of your kitchen can determine if gnats and fruit flies will find their way into your home.
This is more of a preventive method to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
It is important you always wash dirty plates regularly.
Avoid keeping them in the sink.
You must also make sure you properly cover your trash cans.
The dining area and kitchen counter should always always be kept clean.
8. Vegetable Oil for Fruit Flies
Yes, you heard right.
Vegetable oil is also an effective home remedy to get rid of gnats and fruit flies.
You can use it to trap and kill those gnats and fruit flies that are coming from the kitchen sink.
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- Begin by pouring ¼ cup vegetable oil right into the drain.
- You should also rub a little oil just the edge of your drain
- Then close the holes of the drain by using tape.
- Leave it there till the following morning.
- Now remove the tape as soon as you wake in the morning.
- You should notice some gnats are stuck on it.
- Repeat this process for some days.
11. Always Keep your Yard Tidy and Clean
Gnats and fruit flies do not only infest inside our homes, they also affect some surrounding areas.
You must always keep your yard tidy and clean to get rid of gnats outside.
Always look for rotten plant debris around your home and remove them immediately.
Also, if you have a compost pile, make sure it is far from your home. They will help you get rid of gnats and fruit flies around your home.
You can also improve your soil drainage. This will help to prevent your plants from holding too much water.
Make sure you also avoid overwatering your plants. It is important you also check for stagnant water in your gutters and drainage areas.
All these will help you get rid of gnats in yards.
12 Remove Spoilt or Overripe Fruit from the Refrigerator
This is one place you can easily forget your fruits. Your fruits or vegetables may become spoilt or overripe and this can lead to gnats.
For those who want to get rid of gnats in the refrigerator, then you must regularly check your refrigerator.
Ensure you remove any overripe and rotten fruit immediately.
You should also incorporate the habit of regularly cleaning your refrigerator.
This will help you get rid of gnats and fruit flies in and around your home.
The sight of gnats and fruit flies in our homes can be annoying. However, they can be prevented and even “chased out.”
All you need do is religiously follow the above home remedies to get rid of gnats and fruit flies. You will definitely see some changes within a few days.